. .
    Hello, I'm a Cabinetmaker trying to incorporate CNC into my woodwork and very new to CNC so please forgive my ignorance.

I don't usually post as I usually find the answer - especially when it comes to fixing computers. However I'm at a loss, I'm by no stretch of the imagination an engineer and a lot of CNC talk may as well be Martian.

I purchased a CNC A4 Router with the very basic training and the whole setup - Laptop (capable of running Mach 3) and Vcarve Pro. The laptop was already setup with Mach 3 and the settings correct for the machine.

On the training day I was advised that when loading the gcode the tool is to be moved to a reference point (say the centre of the project) and then zero'd out in the coord's along with the soft limits button depressed (highlighted green). When the project is finished or Mach3 shut down - the next time you start up you can press ref all home and the tool will go back to it's machine position and the CNC bed/laptop will know where the tool is in space. I hope that made sense?

For the last week I have been getting to grips with 3D work and the in's and out's of Vcarve Pro. A couple of days ago I decided to load a model and begin on my first project. But. somewhere along the way I have gone and messed the settings up. Also, I didn't make a back up of the original XML file which would have be fantastic and I wouldn't have wasted what feels like forever.

I have being trying to get back to that once perfect state and I have trawled through forum and have been pointed to the mach 3 support but it's really not sinking in at the moment. Probably because for what seems like endless hours has given me tunnel vision and I'm trying to start my business up which has been added pressure.

Please could a vet of CNC guide me in Lay terms what I need to do step by step to get ref all home to work and the X Y Z zero buttons highlighted back to green. Short of that Ill hire someone to set up my machine and give me a more in depth lesson on the working of Mach 3.

Vcarve is sorted btw ;)

Thank you in advance,

P.S there are limit switches if that helps.

Lives in Brough, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-07-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    Hello Cabinetman to be in the same place as you, I'm just building my machine up, Have got good engineering skills, but will take a while to understand how software works, wi;ll need a few lessons, whereabouts are you based?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Hello Cabinetman to be in the same place as you, I'm just building my machine up, Have got good engineering skills, but will take a while to understand how software works, wi;ll need a few lessons, whereabouts are you based?

Steve
    I'm based about 2 minutes from Swinton near Rotherham. I have the machine set up, it's just the software (mach 3) is like reading the controls of a space ship. Ok, slight exaggeration but it's a steep learning curve.

Lives in Brough, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-07-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    I have downloaded a trial copy of vcarve is iteasy to use, agree with your comments on space ship, have tried to look for any training courses but cant see anywhere

steve

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I thought some of the Mach3 users might of commented by now, as it's been a few years since I've had much real dealings with it.

I'm guessing you're needing to home the machine, however it's not clear if your machine is setup to use home switches.

It's probably best to post over on the Mach support forum - http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php
    However, people will need some details about the machine.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabinetman17 View Post
    I'm based about 2 minutes from Swinton near Rotherham. I have the machine set up, it's just the software (mach 3) is like reading the controls of a space ship. Ok, slight exaggeration but it's a steep learning curve.
    Hi I am not sure what your problem is. But first a link to the machine and a picture of it might help.
    Have you seen some of the very good tutorials like these :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7lMocQbv0 there a plenty on the web. Also try and give a good clear explanation of what has gone wrong as crystal balls are hard to find these days.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information