. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I've been threatening to get started on a CNC lathe as soon as Thor was complete. Thor is now basically done, so time to move onto the next project.

The design for the lathe is fairly straight forward. The part I am struggling with is what headstock / spindle to use.

Is it worth buying a standalone headstock from a parted out lathe and use this with a bunch of decent rails / servos? Suppose I could try and make something but not sure I can get the accuracy needed.

Thanks

Have you got a lathe or access to one?

What kind of tolerances can Thor produce?

Given the effort you put into Thor, I cant wait to see what you come up with this time for a lathe, tool turret on the cards?
    .Me

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Have you got a lathe or access to one?

What kind of tolerances can Thor produce?

Given the effort you put into Thor, I cant wait to see what you come up with this time for a lathe, tool turret on the cards?
    I have my Emco 120 which Ill sell. Just not big enough for what Id like to do.

Tolerances, not checked yet, should be doing some calibration cuts this weekend once I get a new table installed. I'm also aware that I have a slight offset in my Z axis, getting a bit of deviation across the Y plane, when measuring Z movement. This is due to the spindle clamp I am using, Ill probably replace it or machine something better than what I bought.

I have two main options for a lathe. One, use my massive metal structure that I used for referencing as the base for the lathe, simply bolt rails to its one side, install 3 carts each side, fabricate a simple X and Z Table. Toolchanger, multiple options, id possibly got for a non turret option as its easier (I think) based on a large working area.

The idea is that I get a headstock that I can then just add a nice high power servo motor to and go from there.

Another option is to form and cast another concrete structure but this is a lot more work. I may start with the metal structure, prove the concept, then convert it to Concrete (or make another a decommission this one).
    Last edited by Chaz; 04-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Depends on what you will use it for. Have you thought of indexing and lather 4rth axis, all in one? LIke this one . basically that guy has his build log on the cnczone

http://www.theinturn.com/
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 04-07-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Depends on what you will use it for. Have you thought of indexing and lather 4rth axis, all in one? LIke this one . basically that guy has his build log on the cnczone
    So something like this on Thor? I am keen to do a 4th axis, so will certainly explore this. Estimated costs?

PRICING:

InTurn™ MEGA Duty 4th axis US$ 2,950

InTurn™ ULTRA Duty 4th axis

Sealed Ball bearing model US$ 3,795 (introductory price)

InTurn™ Ultra-T

Tapered Roller Bearing model US$ 4,995 (Introductory price)

InTurn™ Tail Stock II US$1,495

Bicycle disc brakes, some aluminum, 700w servo motor , you machine the pulleys and so, some belts. So basically the extra controller may be or you figure another way to do it.

I find that really an useful thing to have
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 04-07-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Bicycle disc brakes, some aluminum, 700w servo motor , you machine the pulleys and so, some belts. So basically the extra controller may be or you figure another way to do it.

I find that really an useful thing to have
    Explain more please ..... I should be able to machine most of this - not sure about design and bearing selection, not an area I understand.

As far as i remember 7:1 ratio of a 700w servo motor. Hydraulic bicycle brake brakes and fixes at certain position when indexing. Bearings are fairly simple. They are so cheap now. Something like the rotating ball nut. A pair of oposing angular contact bearings with sufficient size. Thats it

Check his channel on you tube. There are 10 or so videos where he explains everything in detail https://www.youtube.com/user/Simpsons36/videos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information