. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Thats what i was saying, Mini lathe + servo motor and brake and fit inside the machine.

Cause once you restore it , it will be beautiful and difficult to salvage it for parts
    So I went to go look at this machine. Lovely little machine - almost too good to break, the pics make it look bad. Turns out the guy is a professional photographer who happens to fix diesel generators and other stuff like that, nice guy.

I may try and CNC the machine as it is, the headstock looks substantial, large bearings, meaty thing. Some play in the crossslide etc but not really a problem I think.

Considering a headstock alone (ignore the cheap chinese one) will be around £250, getting this for around £450 with some options is probably reasonable enough. It will work as it is now. I can fit a ballscrew in the centre of it or the front, there is space to mount rails if needed, so options exist.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Thats what i was saying, Mini lathe + servo motor and brake and fit inside the machine.

Cause once you restore it , it will be beautiful and difficult to salvage it for parts
    The other question I had was around max spindle speed. The machine is rated to run 1200 max. Whilst not bad, for alu, higher is better. I cant find any details around the bearings used, any idea if this will be an issue to use this headstock to mainly machine alu?

Did you see this? Ended a few days ago but didn't sell - worth making an offer maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hardinge-c...AAAOSwXXxZSa2l

4. Quote Originally Posted by bikepete View Post
    Did you see this? Ended a few days ago but didn't sell - worth making an offer maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hardinge-c...AAAOSwXXxZSa2l
    Ye, I did, thanks. Issue was its collection only and not close for me. But it certainly was suitable for what I was looking for.

5. So I have bought this Smart & Brown machine - a number of options exist. Will take a look once it arrives to see if I should just CNC it as it stands or do something else with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information