. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Botley, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14-10-2020 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 5.
    Hi All,

Sorry for all the questions but I have got to learn somehow:) I have spent a good few hours reading through the forum, some great info even if it didn't all make sense (yet)..

I need to buy a CNC, router or mill happy to take advice. I am looking at spending around £4000 and looking to CNC mostly plastics but also Aluminium so its a must to be able to do this comfortably, I don't need anything big, 300x200x150 should be ample.

I have a 3D printing company so I work in CAD every day and have a grasp on G Code. I can use Fusion 360, i need to learn the CAM part but designing the parts isn't a problem.

After reading through here having a CNC custom built seems like the recommend option, i don't have time to do this so any pointers as to who i should look to do this would be great..

If there is a stand out machine on the market which someone can recommend as well I am happy to look at that as well..

Many thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Will

Cutting plastics and aluminium requires coolant, so I think you should be looking for a machine with that capability built in from the start. 300x200x150 is useless, for a start it will limit the size of spindle that can be fitted and to my mind 2.2kW is an ideal size.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Botley, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14-10-2020 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Cutting plastics and aluminium requires coolant, so I think you should be looking for a machine with that capability built in from the start. 300x200x150 is useless, for a start it will limit the size of spindle that can be fitted and to my mind 2.2kW is an ideal size.
    Thanks for the response, that is a size I would require as an approx minimum, happy for it to be bigger! Any suggestions on makes etc.

Will

Hi Will welcome to the forum, Eddy.

Will, unfortunately (unless I missed the memo) there is nothing at that price point anyone here is likely to want to recommended to you as something you should spend your money on and invest in.

While it's true you can buy machines from £400 all the way up, all of these machines are lacking in one way or another, your criteria for a machine is quite modest, however it's pretty much the standard from people just getting started, all of whom I'm confident progress onto wanting more.

The only thing you can really do is have a close look at the machines available, doing so armed with as much research on the said as you can find, as I said above they all lack in some way and the short version of your research will be what your willing to live with for the price you'll pay.

If I had to point you in a direction, it would be in the direction of a 6090 machine from EXELCNC, I think they are getting quite allot right with their machines, its a UK company and after sales support is something you need to factor in when looking to invest in a production machine, you may find a similar sized machine cheaper on eBay coming from China or in more recent times from China via a warehouse in Germany but I doubt it would be any kind of deal breaker...

...Especially when you run into a problem and need to speak to someone at HQ regarding the machine.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-07-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    .Me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Even if you need a small machine many times will come a job that you will need something big. 6090 machine is minimum do all machine for hobby and making some money. You could do almost all on that machine. So in your case that would be it. I dont know for that cash you have if sb could build that to you. Maybe 5000. But all-arounder for any business is a 1200x1200

That Exel CNC is a big No for me with only 100mm Z axis . is it me only but a machine with less than 150mm travel is absolute shite in my eyes. Yes, i had one , my first machine was like that. It made me money but...

Example: One of the best bits i use are the CMT insert 90 degrees V cutter and the 12mm cutter. Typical sign making bits. So the 12mm bit is 50mm long out of spindle. material if 30mm wood or whatever, thats 80 mm already. Sacrificial layer 10mm. 90mm. we need 30 for the cut and 10 for clearance. Thats 130mm . How do you do that on a 100mm Z travel. And what if i wanted a vise to hold the material, or a vacuum table????

As i said- a big NO
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thanks Lee, I will look into that company.. I would love to stay British for a number of reasons so thanks.

A machine I have been eyeballing before joining here:

https://www.worldofcnc.com/collectio...router-package

does anyone have any feedback on their machines?

Or the Sieg KX3, I know not British but support seems good.

Cheers

Will

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
    Thanks Lee, I will look into that company.. I would love to stay British for a number of reasons so thanks.

Cheers

Will
    This company looks like to be the same company as Marchant Dice Check their reviews and the threads on here about them
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.

Cheers

Will
    Ye, avoid Marchant Dice at all costs. Lots of shortcuts in their kit, not good value.

Could this be of interest - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11055...-Phase-CS-Labs ?

Thanks all, yes a quick google search shows they are the same company..

Chaz, thanks for the link.. it looks like a good option, a bit more than I was wanting to pay. He is only 15min from me so I should investigate..

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks all, yes a quick google search shows they are the same company..

Chaz, thanks for the link.. it looks like a good option, a bit more than I was wanting to pay. He is only 15min from me so I should investigate..
    He is me.

Come look at the machine, perhaps we can work something out if it suits you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information