. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Phil,

Useful info there and it sounds like you're making headway into solving this - if so it would be invaluable to add your findings to this thread as you go, for the next poor soul who buys these (I also have 5 of these lying around... definitely not TB6600s, despite the eBay ad claiming them to be so - I think there's a hint as to the max voltage printed on the enclosure - I think (I'm at work at the moment) that the TB6600-based ones advertise themselves at upto 48V operating, whereas your's (and mine) at 40V are the little SMD devices. I'll also caution that the opto-isolators on that board are (according to datasheet) pretty sluggish devices - but chase one problem at a time and see if your thermal solution resolves your problems.

Well, I did the thermal treatment on Y and it didn't overheat and the heatsink got a lot hotter, which is great. I then did the same job on the other axes and put them all back (in different order, probably), this time the Z failed. Now I've heat-treated a spare and swapped that in, so trying again.

Ultimately I'd like to actually buy a real TB6600 controller and try that, anyone know of a good supplier for those? Not seen one in the UK yet that looks pucker, but Far East will do!

Thanks,
    Phil

Phil,

These are the ones that I bought...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Ax...vbgiYCPuIMIsVA

Although my seller went under the name of "bigger*gift", but we all know the Chinese are a little agile with their naming. I think the discriminator is the 50V and 5A rating.

I'd caution, however, the subject of this thread and that mine, bought April/17 required the opto-isolators replacing.

OK thanks, I just bought two that look just like that, with the higher voltage and current rating. I can replace the optos as this thread details.

Meanwhile, I just ran a large job at 2x speed and it made it through the job twice without tripping, so maybe I'll be OK for milling polystyrene - will wait a while before putting the actual lump of wood under it though!

-Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information