. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this...

I have Omron R88D-U servo drivers and a R88D-U motor to test it all with. I've connected the motor and the encoder. However, I can't get into the servo driver software as for some reason the OMNUC interface software and the Yaskawa software doesn't like my USB-RS232 port and won't connect with the servo drive.

Anyway, I'd like to try running the servo driver from my BOB using the current settings, but I can't get to the bottom of what I need to connect. It would seem logical that I only need four or five wires to give the driver an enable signal and step and direction pulse, but I'm buggered if I can see exactly what I need to do

Attached are the pin-outs from the driver interface plug.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CN1-pins1.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	22407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CN1-pins2.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	22408

Having looked at this a bit more, am I right in thinking that 1 and 3 relate to step and direction on the BOB and that 2 and 4 will be ground? What about enable?

I realise the second page I attached was not relevant.
    Last edited by Agathon; 30-07-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Did you buy the proper Com cable as i suggested in the other thread? Dig in manual, at the section of initial startup there is said which type of COM cable you need.

Do not run servos using "current settings" . Its like driving blind, or trying to... Just follow the right steps.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Did you buy the proper Com cable as i suggested in the other thread? Dig in manual, at the section of initial startup there is said which type of COM cable you need.

Do not run servos using "current settings" . Its like driving blind, or trying to... Just follow the right steps.
    Thanks for the reply Boyan. Do you mean the computer to driver programming cable (driver to computer) or the driver to BOB? The former is an RS232 DB9, I have the correct plug for the latter (control IO - cn1) - a manufacturers cable wouldn't be any better since I just need to connect the BOB to the correct four or five pins.

Unfortunately, I don't know the "right steps" and can't get my computer to talk to the driver! At the moment, I'm not worried about "flying blind" I just want to prove that the drivers and servo work.

Anything here ? https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-genera...wa-servomotors

https://en.industryarena.com/forum/s....php?t=157229&

Have you searched for a generic answer to using servos with Mach3 ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-07-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You really need to know how the drives are set before you can test them.
    However a quick look at those pinouts, and if you apply all the required power inputs, activating the RUN pin should at least get the servo to lock, however that depends on the related settings having not been changed from the default where activating the pin enables the servo.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Anything here ? https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-genera...wa-servomotors

https://en.industryarena.com/forum/s....php?t=157229&

Have you searched for a generic answer to using servos with Mach3 ?
    Many thanks for that Eddy. The first link has already proved useful. I'm chipping away at the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    You really need to know how the drives are set before you can test them.
    However a quick look at those pinouts, and if you apply all the required power inputs, activating the RUN pin should at least get the servo to lock, however that depends on the related settings having not been changed from the default where activating the pin enables the servo.
    Thanks, I see what you mean, there are so many parameters that could have been changed. Having looked through the manual a little further I think I need to short pin 34 and 35 before the drive will do anything at all.

It's critical that I get the software interface to work - I think that there's something funny going on with the USB-RS232 converter I have, the Yaskawa software seems to think it's a RS-422 port.

I just need to keep buggering-on buggering-on until I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    I think that there's something funny going on with the USB-RS232 converter I have, the Yaskawa software seems to think it's a RS-422 port.

I just need to keep buggering-on buggering-on until I get there.

you need to keep on eliminating reasons and i can tell you straight away that i would never use USB-RS232 converter for connecting to servos, or anything. . You need a normal. PC with a normal PCI port and an adapter there. Or even better, a PC with a com port that you could control from bios.

Standard RS-232C RS-422A

specifications
    Communications
    method
    Asynchronous (ASYNC)
    Baud rate 2,400 bps
    Start bits 1 bit
    Data 8 bits
    Parity None
    Stop bits 1 bit

That above is from your servo drive manual. If baud rate is not set at Com port same same, communication will NOT ever happen

And most of all check that manual https://www.fa.omron.com.cn/data_pdf...8d-u.pdf?id=68 for the proper connection to the drives from the PC side . Check your cabling if is right.

So in other words from page 1-7 seems you need Null Modem Cable https://www.decisivetactics.com/supp...h-serial-cable

Name:	servo omron rs232.PNG 
Views:	856 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	22409
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 31-07-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    you need to keep on eliminating reasons and i can tell you straight away that i would never use USB-RS232 converter for connecting to servos, or anything. . You need a normal. PC with a normal PCI port and an adapter there. Or even better, a PC with a com port that you could control from bios.

Standard RS-232C RS-422A

specifications
    Communications
    method
    Asynchronous (ASYNC)
    Baud rate 2,400 bps
    Start bits 1 bit
    Data 8 bits
    Parity None
    Stop bits 1 bit

That above is from your servo drive manual. If baud rate is not set at Com port same same, communication will NOT ever happen

And most of all check that manual https://www.fa.omron.com.cn/data_pdf...8d-u.pdf?id=68 for the proper connection to the drives from the PC side . Check your cabling if is right.

So in other words from page 1-7 seems you need Null Modem Cable https://www.decisivetactics.com/supp...h-serial-cable

Name:	servo omron rs232.PNG 
Views:	856 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	22409
    Many thanks Boyan - that's really helpful. I'll check all the above. I do have a PC with a RS-232 port and have tried connecting with that, but I didn't check any of the settings. I'll check the cable too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information