. .

Thread: V Cutting Tape

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The polymer base paint I currently use is achieving this. The pita is keeping the film attached to the edges after the shearing action of the cutters. I have it sussed it 95% with the iron on film but my original search request was for a better film to give 100% adhesion and still be removable. I do have that workable compromise currently and with due diligence it is giving me a result. Simply seeking either a better film or method.

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 51 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    The polymer base paint I currently use is achieving this. The pita is keeping the film attached to the edges after the shearing action of the cutters. Simply seeking either a better film or method.
    Only just come across this could a change of cutter help have you tried a down cut?

Phill

This application is for a "V" cutting bit. Not sure if there is a downcutting option. I normally use downcutters for pocketing.

Only option seems to be what was already mentioned- incompatible paints.

What if you paint top layer with automotive/car type solvent based paints, then engrave, then paint recesses with water based paint that can wipe off the top layer? Might even be able to laquor top layer, possibly even with a silicone product that is totally hydrophobic.

Currently doing just that, with water based acrylics for the infills.

For the infills as you call them I think you should use a thick paint because as Boyan said earlier, it will soak sideways into the top grain if thin.
    Also I'm wondering about the stuff they 'wrap' cars etc. in ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

The only way i know of, as i said above, is using flat reinforced sponge to do that. As per this sign making video:

project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

I saw this video and stole a really great tip...

If you use vinyl sheet as a mask, it probably won't fray at the edges as badly as masking tape, but even so, you'll still get paint bleeding through from the edge of the lettering onto the uncarved areas. The tip in this video is to paint the letters with background colour first, let it dry, them paint carved areas. The idea is that the bleed colour would be same as background anyway. So...

With gold text carved on black background, for example...

1- paint uncarved wood black
    2- apply vinyl film
    3- carve out letters
    4- paint letters black and allow to dry (seals bleed points)
    5- paint letters gold and allow to dry.
    6- remove vinyl film.
    (I've never done this before- just putting the idea out there)
    Here's the video I stole the bleed tip from..

https://youtu.be/NgMoYRDtrUo
    Last edited by PaisleyPCdoctor; 24-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Boyan's link is excellent but the results the guy in the video achieved don't look 100%
    I don't do brushes and foam, just good masking and spray guns, but I'm from an automotive paint background and I'm really picky about colour and surface finish, I can spot a poor job on a car at 100 yards in bad street lighting on a rainy night :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

There is no automation doing stuff like that. One must be an Artist.

Its impossible to mask anything 3d properly with tape, vinyl or similar.

For perfect result first of all the wood should be chosen to be perfect for the job. IMHO that would be Cedar or similar structure wood.

But if a perfection is desired when painting, then even secondary machining like surfacing after paint is not a bad idea. For example: egrave deeper setting Z0 say 0.5mm deeper, base coat inside, paint inside, trim all 0.5mm, then using flat tool paint rest, right away carefully clean excess paint that went inside across the border. Use flat painting tools, fixtures.

Same like auto body work. You don't flatten a door using 10cm sanding pad, you flatten it using 50cm sanding pad.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information