. .

Thread: V Cutting Tape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I would welcome any recommendation for self adhesive tape or sheeting to retain, as far as possible, the integrity of the outline being "V" cut. In order to spray colour into the (masked) cavity.
    Have tried various green and white masking 'tapes as usually advised, but the result is very poor. Also used s/a heat shrink (useless).
    If you have the secret and would share. I would be most grateful.
    Last edited by Leadhead; 10-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.

What exactly you are trying to do? Its not done this way. Is it wood?

I have tried all possibilities and here is my advice if wood, as possibly all other scenarios lead to a fault or mediocre quality:

1.V carve
    2.Sand a bit the edges and clean the V channel perfectly
    3.Find the best quality and fastest dry impregnation lacquer for outside wood. Best works water based urethane.
    4.Paint more or less, paint back if needed, paint sides if needed. Dont care for inside of channel

5 Let dry recommended time

6. Use only 2 component Urethane paint. MIx and paint the channels without caring if you make all thing dirty.

7.Let it dry for a couple of hours

8. Sand directly with 100 and up sander. If you have a good sander thats it. If not sand up to 240.

9. Arm yourself with a sponge and apply finish with careful brushing movements so as the paint or lacquer not to go in the channel

For metal:
    use only 2 component base and paint. Sand face down on flat plate, do not use polisher. Or if using polisher, do that after the base , then spray color and then fast clea with acetone very carefully the polished part that need to be seen.

Here is an illustration of the process. In fact exactly what i am doing today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (1).jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	22167 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (2).jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	22168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (3).jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	22169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (4).jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	22170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (6).jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	22171
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 10-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    What exactly you are trying to do? Its not done this way. Is it wood?

I have tried all possibilities and here is my advice if wood, as possibly all other scenarios lead to a fault or mediocre quality:

1.V carve
    2.Sand a bit the edges and clean the V channel perfectly
    3.Find the best quality and fastest dry impregnation lacquer for outside wood. Best works water based urethane.
    4.Paint more or less, paint back if needed, paint sides if needed. Dont care for inside of channel

5 Let dry recommended time

6. Use only 2 component Urethane paint. MIx and paint the channels without caring if you make all thing dirty.

7.Let it dry for a couple of hours

8. Sand directly with 100 and up sander. If you have a good sander thats it. If not sand up to 240.

9. Arm yourself with a sponge and apply finish with careful brushing movements so as the paint or lacquer not to go in the channel

For metal:
    use only 2 component base and paint. Sand face down on flat plate, do not use polisher. Or if using polisher, do that after the base , then spray color and then fast clea with acetone very carefully the polished part that need to be seen.

Here is an illustration of the process. In fact exactly what i am doing today:

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (1).jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	22167 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (2).jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	22168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (3).jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	22169 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (4).jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	22170 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting V carved sign signshop.es (6).jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	22171
    Boyan - Thanks for information. I have to paint the whole surface first. Then cut through with the v cutter. Then spray contrasting colour onto engraving. Then remove tape/film. I also use water based emulsions and cover with urethane after removing all remaining film.
    Regards
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    Boyan - Thanks for information. I have to paint the whole surface first. Then cut through with the v cutter. Then spray contrasting colour onto engraving. Then remove tape/film. I also use water based emulsions and cover with urethane after removing all remaining film.
    Regards
    Rod
    No, what i am suggesting is more precise. There is no need for tape. Paint will go under the tape and into the wood! hence better is to impregnate wood and then paint channel. Then sand excess. I have that constant conversation with a printer guy friend of mine when he tries to teach me that i have to use tape and me that is better without tape.

Plus there's that detail that you have to sand inside channel or clean with flat screwdriver before coloring and priming. The tape will not permit that or will roughen and then coor will go where is not needed in wood.

I have tried all and what i say works 100% perfectly. I don't have more time for experiments... It works also just V cut clean and paint, but then sanding is more time and trickier if you have 1mm grooves like that on picture below. In fact on that images you will see that i used different method for each plate. result was same just i lost 2 1mm lines and had to do them by hand later.

And use bicomponent paint otherwise you could be testing the destiny. Once only i used bad paint on 30 signs and had to repaint them 4 times.

Name:	20170512_171104.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	22172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170512_194216.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	22173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170512_195230.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	435.1 KB 
ID:	22174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170513_152633.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	22175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170513_152635.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	22176
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Boyan - Yes but your Z0 surface is plain. I have to paint my whole Z0 surface first and then cut in. I could then hand paint in the v cavity. But I generally like to airbrush.

Would it be possible to deliberately carve slightly too deep (say 0.2mm for talking sake), paint the cuts, then mill the 0.2mm off the whole surface with a clearing bit?

Yes but, this assumes that you require a natural colour surface. As my conversation with Boyan above. I need a painted surface, which is another ballgame. Currently my method is to paint or spray my base surface (Z,0 surface) then use industrial strength iron-on film over that. A good initial surface is required and a well dried polymer based paint is imperative for good film adhesion. I cut through for my lowest contour first. Iron back the edges to ensure a seal against the painted edge. Then paint or airbrush in the cut. If going for three or more colours, then I repeat the iron on film process as required. (Find a small triangular model film covering iron is very useful.)
    I have tried cutting the surface back, as you suggest, and rubber rollering the topcoat. Results where not good.

You could use laminations.
    Layer1 would be your top colour
    Layer2 would be your cut layer, revealed by the cutting tool.
    Layer3 would be the unseen backing layer.

Pieces of different colour could be positioned in layer2 so that many colours would be revealed after cutting.
    Of course that would take planning but the machine could cut those out to fit like a mosaic.

Some type of plastic would be ideal for Layer2 or possibly thin wood that had been fully saturated right through with colour.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 06-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Problem with solid wood or MDF is that the edge of that laminate has to be painted. Also it would seem to assume that the colour differentiation was on a common x,y (lamination) level. 3D colour changes would be inefficient at best I think. Unless you have a way please?
    Last edited by Leadhead; 06-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.

This is about paint!
    You need to paint the top surface with a paint which is resistant to the solvent in the paint for the fill.
    If you cannot do this then the solution (no pun intended) is not what you would like it to be.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information