. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm keen to get a DC Brushless motor (DCBM) going much like Jeremy did for his spindle project ( is it really 2 years ago?).

Mach claims to have a PWM output, has anyone tried using that to drive the DCBM driver module?

I'm hoping that this is a solution to the noise my router makes! Also most routers aren't rated for more that 3 or 4 minutes running anyway. I typically run mine for up to 1 hour.

the duty cycle topic is discussed else where
    John
    Templecorran
    Where the Light was kept during the Dark Ages

Can't answer your querey, but as someone who was equally concerned about spindle noise levels, one solution is a Proxxon BFW 40/E spindle.

AudioAndy lent me his, here's his video of it in action...

it's astonishingly quiet. The only downside is that its max RPM is 7,000, there's no 6.35mm collet available & it maye be a little underpowered for some (I believe it's 250W) - but hey, you can' t have it all...if it's quiet you want and can live with those downsides, it's a contender.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 17-11-2016 at 10:18 AM.

well, thanks for that info. That thing is so quiet I'm not convinced it is even running ... I don't see any cuttings!

I have gathered a lot of 1/4" and 1/8" shank tools so I must have the 1/4" chuck.

Starting at the beginning of Jeremy's series on the self build spindle - he is using an ER16 straight shank milling chuck. I checked and there weren't any imperial collets listed that I could see. I'm now searching for imperial milling chucks similar to the ER16 that might be made to work. I'm not afraid to run it through the lathe and make a mess! :heehee:

John
    Templecorran

Quote Originally Posted by templecorran View Post
    well, thanks for that info. That thing is so quiet I'm not convinced it is even running ... I don't see any cuttings!

I have gathered a lot of 1/4" and 1/8" shank tools so I must have the 1/4" chuck.

Starting at the beginning of Jeremy's series on the self build spindle - he is using an ER16 straight shank milling chuck. I checked and there weren't any imperial collets listed that I could see. I'm now searching for imperial milling chucks similar to the ER16 that might be made to work. I'm not afraid to run it through the lathe and make a mess! :heehee:

John
    well it was running! (& as I have it at the minute, I can confirm it really is that quiet)

The collets that come with it are 2mm, 3mm, 3.2mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm.

I'm considering buying an extra Proxxon 6mm collet & boring out the extra 0.35mm needed! (because if I ever need to use a 1/4" bit...it'd be for 'grunt work' & therefore accuracy wouldn't be key, so the little runout I cause shouldn't be a problem! )

in the past 30 something minutes I have found some interesting things out there in .net land

ER11 C8 100L (ebay ref 170370225742) and ER11 16mm dia (ebay ref 110391685240) (only good for a few days until the time's up)

However I also found Specifications for these collets, which all you mechanical engineering types knew already.
    Bottom line is that I can easily make use of either the 8mm dia or 16mm dia chucks and attach them to a DCBM.

Now ... off autocad land to make some drawings

John
    Templecorran

What about this one

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-Collet-Chucks

Part way down the page, ER 16 on a 20mm parallel shank.

ER16's are good to 10mm
    I suspect you have found out but they close a full mm so they will hold any size.

6 to 7mm will hold 6mm and 1/4", 3 to 3.5 will hold 3mm or 1/8" and 9 to 10 will hold 3/8" and 10mm so you only need about 4 collets to hold eith standard sized cutters.
    John S -

Yes, John, That's the one Jeremy used in his spindle design. Must confess I didn't notice the 1mm range in compression. After all, we were told as apprentices "that to be an electrician you need to be able to read or write, not necessarily both!"
    I've now got a MSc in Electronics but keep that quiet :heehee:

I was thinking along the line of the smaller shaft for ease of coupling to the DCBM, but looking at the spec for them I see they feature a 4 or 5mm shaft. So a bit of lathe work is needed whatever way.

John
    Templecorran

I am watching this thread with great interest because building my own spindle and interfacing it with mach is something that I also would like to do.

The mechanics will not be a problem for me but designing electronic boards and putting them together has never been one of my strong points!

What I do have though is a selection of various good quality DC motor speed controllers that may be of use and would be happy to send one to you if it will help. Let me know the spec of the motor and I will see if I have anything that will be any good to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post

What I do have though is a selection of various good quality DC motor speed controllers that may be of use and would be happy to send one to you if it will help. Let me know the spec of the motor and I will see if I have anything that will be any good to you.
    Don't give him one of MY damn DC speed controllers..........:surprised:

John S -

Well I wasn't going to give him one of mine....:naughty:

You better add one of them to your 'u owe me' list as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information