. .
    Currently located near Stonehaven and i am considering building a decent sized CNC router which will be about 4 by 10 foot.

It will be mostly used for stuff like plywood etc no ambition to be machining big 3D things in metal. I have a manual mill and lathe for that

A few things which need to be done first before i can start, like actually build the workshop extension to put the machine in.

But no time like the present to ask a few questions

Anyone in the aberdeenish area who has some wise words or a machine to eyeball?

Is the idea of having a machine where the head can be swapped from a router to a plasma cutter head completely nuts?

Is it worth buying a small machine or a 3D printer to start playing with while i plan the build?

As a newbie where is the best forum to ask basic questions?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by thinfourth View Post
    As a newbie where is the best forum to ask basic questions?
    Hi Welcome to the forum. Just start in the General Discussion section to start. It is very ambitious to build a machine as big as 10 x 4 for a first project. Have a read through some of the build logs. The general rule is don't buy any electronics or motors etc. and certainly not kits as they are never matched up until you have a plan drawn up.
    Ask as many questions as you like and when you are ready, start a build log to keep all the questions regarding the build in one place as that make it easier for people to follow.
    Last edited by Clive S; 21-07-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Do not buy a 3D printer with the idea that it will introduce you to cnc routing/milling, it won't, I have both.
    I would not be aganst the idea of buying a small cnc router such as the Chinese ones on ebay etc. because that would get you going on CAD/CAM software, gcode, and the general concepts, all of which would still be relevant with a larger machine later.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Hi Welcome to the forum. Just start in the General Discussion section to start. It is very ambitious to build a machine as big as 10 x 4 for a first project. Have a read through some of the build logs. The general rule is don't buy any electronics or motors etc. and certainly not kits as they are never matched up until you have a plan drawn up.
    Ask as many questions as you like and when you are ready, start a build log to keep all the questions regarding the build in one place as that make it easier for people to follow.
    It is the electric stuff that i think will be tricky as i have not got a clue about that side of the machine

The big metal frame thing will be easy. As i have made many of a metal thing before.

Thread Information