. .
    Hi,

I know there are some smaller 'open' CNC mill designs; you can buy parts on eBay. I wondered if there are any larger open mill designs, say a full sheet size 1200 x 2400mm?

I designed a machine a while back planning to build it to replace my current one but never got around to doing it. I would like to know if it is worth some hours of my time to draw up each individual part and post it up here so others can use the design?

I've seen many build threads here but not too many with full design drawings downloadable.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Hi,

I know there are some smaller 'open' CNC mill designs; you can buy parts on eBay. I wondered if there are any larger open mill designs, say a full sheet size 1200 x 2400mm?

I designed a machine a while back planning to build it to replace my current one but never got around to doing it. I would like to know if it is worth some hours of my time to draw up each individual part and post it up here so others can use the design?

I've seen many build threads here but not too many with full design drawings downloadable.

Simon
    The open build type CNC machines generally use substandard slides (Normally V wheels on extrusion) these are poor for small routers for a large router they are pointless.

Personally I designed my own router and I see nearly everyone who's building there own designed it themselves, we are always happy to critique design. I doubt anyone would build a cnc machine from someone else's plans without seeing a working router first not to diss your cad skills but just my view.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Depends on the design. And who is targeting. But to tell you the truth most if not all Open source designs are quite poor and not worth it at all for something serious. / Anywhere i put my money is serious/

My first machine build with help from forum is Open Source. You could find the files in Sketchup in the relevant section. Frame and details were many times copied and based on, but no big interest to say, so that i continue working on it.

I build my second CNC with the help again from the forum, but have spend substantial time on the design, doing many new things and details. Designed from scratch. Machine completed, plans reworked with minor details. This design i sell privately and offer support for it. I would like to open source it and make it from Sketchup to NX but dont have the time to do that. neither are there many who will invest in a serious machine , or if they are willing to, they think they can make it better/ usually not the case/ , etc..

I have designed also a small machine 900x600x200. A very perfect machine that needs just a bit to finish the plans. No time to do that .

What i am saying here every one thinks spending 100 euros on a perfect plan is not worth it and they start designing their own. Ebay plans are crap and Open source not good enough. I have some clients that know to value mine and their time, but apart from that...

So, no. Its not worth open sourcing it. A wasted time
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thread Information