Thread: New start

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51
    Use paint remover, it is faster and make the paint leave in flakes, so no dust to worry about.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Use paint remover, it is faster and make the paint leave in flakes, so no dust to worry about.
    Good idea ;)

    Sanding is therapy for me so I might stick with it hehe.. anyway I just have to get it smooth so I can paint it again! And lesson learned, no more ultra cheap spray cans.

    Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

  3. #53
    what are the parts you are painting there made from?

    In my experience aluminium doesn't massively like to be painted... generally found results were lacking unless an etch primer was used.

    Needless to say, regardless of the metal type you need to be meticulous about degreasing first too. A good soak and scrub in hot water with either some proper degreaser or washing up liquid will help a lot with getting a lasting finish.

    What parts are you worried about wear on? Mating surfaces shouldn't be moving really once assembled so I wouldn't be overly concerned about wear and tear on them.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    what are the parts you are painting there made from?

    In my experience aluminium doesn't massively like to be painted... generally found results were lacking unless an etch primer was used.

    Needless to say, regardless of the metal type you need to be meticulous about degreasing first too. A good soak and scrub in hot water with either some proper degreaser or washing up liquid will help a lot with getting a lasting finish.

    What parts are you worried about wear on? Mating surfaces shouldn't be moving really once assembled so I wouldn't be overly concerned about wear and tear on them.
    Well.. Im not really worried about wear.. more about rust :) The surfaces under the bearings should be okay since they are tight but when painting I mask of a little more then required so that I dont get paint in the wrong place ;)
    The router will have its home in a shed I built in my backyard.
    I will have some heat in there but it can probably get pretty moist in spring and fall.
    All my plates are steel right now.
    But because I made some mistakes on my Z dropplate and have to redo it I'm probably gonna do it in aluminium.

    Good advice about the washing! Thanks..
    Before I painted now I just scrubbed the parts down with an alkoholbased degreaser..

    There are many things to think about when taking the leap and building yourself a machine! Sometimes it's hard not to forget some crucial step when you are progressing :)

    Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

  5. #55
    AAAaHHGrrr just broke a tap in a hole for my master rail on the X axis.. frustrating as hell!!

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    AAAaHHGrrr just broke a tap in a hole for my master rail on the X axis.. frustrating as hell!!
    look on it as a learning curve and not a frustration
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    look on it as a learning curve and not a frustration
    You are correct as always :D
    I have calmed down, bought a new tap and ready for new holes hehe

  8. #58
    could be worse, could have snapped off flush with the hole....

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    could be worse, could have snapped off flush with the hole....
    Well.. what do you mean? I did just that? There will be no getting the old tap out and will have to skip a bolt in that hole?

    Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

  10. #60
    ah when you said ready for new holes with the new tap I thought your problem was solved so assumed the old tap was extracted!

    Shame it's all steel, you could have dissolved the old tap if it was stuck in aluminium. I don't suppose you have suitable welding equipment to Tig weld something to the top of the tap?


    edit - oooh, useful if it's a straight flute tap http://www.waltontools.com/products/remvtap.htm

    double edit - some ideas here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZsjj7pqBXc

    triple edit - cromwell have a nice selection of tap extractors https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand...ctors/03020107
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 10-08-2017 at 09:54 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:


Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEW MEMBER: We all need to start somewhere!
    By Realtime in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-05-2017, 08:43 PM
  2. NEW MEMBER: A new start for me.......
    By Nthkentman in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-08-2014, 10:50 AM
  3. Where to start?
    By Inquisitor in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 02:35 PM
  4. where to start
    By martin54 in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22-09-2012, 11:29 AM
  5. is this 2.5d where do i start? help please if you can
    By h4ppy-chris in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •