. .

Thread: Good Day Eh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Everybody,

My name is Dale and I am new to the group. I am a teacher in Canada and we want to build a CNC machine and came a cross a recommendation of your site( by Ron Harris). I am looking for advice on design and material. I am just sitting back going through all the information.

Thanks Dale!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine4u1 View Post
    Hi Everybody,

My name is Dale and I am new to the group. I am a teacher in Canada and we want to build a CNC machine and came a cross a recommendation of your site( by Ron Harris). I am looking for advice on design and material. I am just sitting back going through all the information.

Thanks Dale!
    Hi Dale and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. Have a good read through the many build logs on here and when you are ready, start a build log to keep all the questions in one place.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Welcome to the place Dale! I'm currently coming to an end with my very first self design and build cnc. My main issue was using steel when i could of used aluminium and made my life much easier, I also used linear guide rails (1605 rails) which If i was to make another I would use linear rail slides purely based on they are have a better mounting system and carriages. Design wise there is quite a lot, there is the fixed base where the gantry will move over the work piece and there is also the fixed gantry where as the work will feed into the cutter.

This post here if you haven't already read it is one amazing read! Just simply amazing to see.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10658...ue-welcomed%21

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for such a warm welcome to this site. I am really enjoying that post you recommended and yes very good reading for sure. I am a teach teacher at a high school in Canada and I want to build a CNC machine to introduce the students to CAD , CNC programming in G-code. I am working on a non existing budget and going to machine and build this. I am looking at what would be the best design for our application. Trying to keep in the 36" x 36" range. I have some parts and linear rails plus a wide selection of cut offs from a company near to the school. Any inputs , readings or advice would be really appreciated from people like yourself and others on the site....
    Thanks Dale

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the warm welcome.... My head is spinning with so many ideas that I am reading. I am really trying to introduce the students to CNC and CAD/CAM. Luckily I have a local company that has donated a lot of parts to the school ( ie. Linear bearing, rails,extruded aluminium etc.) Which has been a god send as there is no budget in the school for such projects. I am a Tech teacher with access to the machine shop so that helps a lot. If there is any builds that you could recommend to follow I do appreciate it.

Thanks Dale

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Dale It would help if you set your goals out regarding size of machine and what is it you want it to cut. Cutting ali is a lot different than cutting mdf etc
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Clive,

Sage advice to start me off right ..... I want to be able to machine a wide range from ali to wood. Size to be in the 3' x 3' range. Being it is for school I need it to have multiple safety incorporated in it . We build robots for the FRC and this will be key to have for it. I than want to use it to teach the students CAD/CAM and G code.

Thanks Dale

Hi Dale, welcome to the forum from downunder, it sounds like you have a fun job!

FRC = FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) is an international high school robotics competition. Each year, teams of high school students and mentors work during a six-week period to build game-playing robots that weigh up to 120 pounds (54 kg).

Hi, welcome to the forums. Are you intending to build the router? Or buy an existing router? What sort of budget do you have for the router?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the warm welcome from down under! Yes that is FRC and we went into it first year as a rookie team. We made it to the district finals and missed out by 2 points to go too worlds in St. Louis. Great first year! looking forward to building this project with the students and hearing all the great advice, ideas from all you folks on this site. If you have any thing that I should look at ,read ...please let me know.
    Good day mate and talk soon!
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information