. .
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. I'd recommend a prusa www.prusa3d.com
    I have the previous to the last model and works like a charm. With the new one they have won best printer of the year and looks like a really good printer on a budget

And very good customer service/ support

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    My router with 9000mm/min will definitely outrun all the most popular 3D printers in both speed and acceleration.
    My Wanhao 4DS is currently set at a safe 150mm/sec (9000mm/min !) and it doesn't chuck itself all over the shop. Print speeds have to be lower as you need to feed filament into the extruder and melt it before squirting it out all over the workpiece in some sort of controlled fashion.
    Last edited by cropwell; 24-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.

i just got a prusa mk2s and while it was a long wait and a bit of a headache once it arrived it didn't take long to put together and was printing great quality stuff straight of the bat. its been running nearly solid since it arrived with a few 26 hour prints oh and to add to this the 3d bed level and all the other auto correction stuff is amazing and so simple and the heated bed is also very good and no need for glue sticks just wipe with window cleaner and that's it.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 25-07-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    My Wanhao 4DS is currently set at a safe 150mm/sec (9000mm/min !) and it doesn't chuck itself all over the shop. Print speeds have to be lower as you need to feed filament into the extruder and melt it before squirting it out all over the workpiece in some sort of controlled fashion.
    I didn't mean that 9000mm/min was not possible with 3D printers, of course it is, and more than that as well, but the printing speed is ALWAYS lower than that in any affordable printers I have seen, meaning that the speed I have is more than enough and in fact, most routers have more than enough speed. Noise is of course an issue, 3D printers are not as noisy as routers.

While there are guys that push speeds to crazy levels with volcano nozzles and the like, typical print speeds for me are around 70mm/s or 4200mm/min, non print moves are 180mm/s or 10800mm/min... of course given the light weight it's fairly easy to have very high acceleration figures too. There can be a surprising amount of non-print moves (both long and short) so don't discount their acceleration and speed as a factor in overall print time.

I would also suggest that first of all, most of the bog standard routers out there are not capable of reliably doing anything near your 9000mm/s and secondly since yours is fixed gantry you also have an advantage in acceleration over typical routers with a much heavier gantry to throw around. There is also the factor of z-lift to consider - a lot of people, myself included, will have a printer set to lift before each non print move by a small amount (I usually set it to 0.25mm) which help stop scraping the nozzle on already printed regions. That is normally a pretty rapid move so if you are having a weighty spindle still attached to avoid alignment issues each time you replace it, the acceleration of the Z could be another factor slowing down a longer print.

Even still, I think that multiple 20+ hour sessions of your machine continuously throwing itself around at 9000mm/s with acceleration to match a typical much lighter 3d printer is going to wear out your kit much more quickly than normal use of a router/mill due to the weight/speed/acceleration demands, and it's going to be using quite a lot more power (and as your said a lot more noise) than a typical 3D printer.

I just think while it's an interesting side project, you are just better off in almost all respects building or buying a dedicated machine. Not least because tying your Router up with long prints means you can't use it for anything else at the same time!
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 24-07-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Happy QIDI owner here, having given away my home-built RepRapPro. Pretty rugged (by comparison) and the print far better. Dual extruder as standard, but as another has said - hardly ever use it and it's just another nozzle to snag on the work piece. But, worked out of the box with just a minor bed alignment. Did have one drive cable fail, but it came with a spare (!)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Andrew Mawson has one, https://www.cetus3d.com/. Fairly well priced, imported machine but uses hiwin rails for the structure. Ive seen the prints it does, really impressive.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Andrew Mawson has one, https://www.cetus3d.com/. Fairly well priced, imported machine but uses hiwin rails for the structure. Ive seen the prints it does, really impressive.
    Looks very nice. I don't know if its me only but i hate that Ultra cheap design. I would gladly pay 100 more for all to look normal gantry like
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Looks very nice. I don't know if its me only but i hate that Ultra cheap design. I would gladly pay 100 more for all to look normal gantry like
    Agreed however IVe seen the prints this does, its impressive. I went as far as abandoning my own designs / ideas as for this money, nothing comes close.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    The Cetus3d looks really good but resisting the urge to say "I have all the parts to build that...."

the only down side is that it will only do PLA. Do you guys use nylon much or is it really difficult to do the engineering plastics?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information