. .
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I also use a print-bite bed and that stuff is bloody brilliant
    Looks like they are out of stock! What would be the best make up for a bed if starting from scratch? Ali plate - heater - glass - print bite ?

Best is probably debatable.

Personally I just have heater/alu plate/print bite. Its nice and light (my printer moves the bed for Y axis so lighter the better really), good heat transfer and quick to warm up.

If you want a removable bed then of course you need another layer using something flat. Personally I'd probably use a thin steel plate and use high temperature magnets to retain it.

I print onto Kapton tape or straight on to a mirror with ABS juice (Acetone and ABS dissolved together). Since I rebuilt my printer and now it's level I rarely have one that doesn't stick to the bed. At least for me 99% of sticking to bed problems were to do with the nozzle being too high or too low.

If I got another one whatever I bought/built I would make sure the Z axis has a contactless solution for setting the Z height. Inductive probe works well as long as you have an aluminium heated bed I use an 8mm probe and it will sense the aluminium bed through the mirror glass which is nice. Optical end stops are good too and hall effect switches. I found microswitchs unreliable for the Z axis.

Never ever use stainless for a print bed stainless has very poor heat conductivity. Tooling aluminium is the best choice for a bed because it's light and has excellent heat conductivity that's why they make heat sinks out of it. The super flat is just a bonus.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 02-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Desertboy, so you mean that the inductive sensor will sense the aluminium table? I thought it only senses magnetic material. Also, how thick is your table?
    Last edited by A_Camera; 02-08-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Desertboy, so you mean that the inductive sensor will sense the aluminium table? I thought it only senses magnetic material. Also, how thick is your table?
    Yes they will but you need the 8mm one
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I am always wary about axial sensing with inductive sensors, after crushing one. The coil at the end is quite delicate, even though it has a plastic shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Yes they will but you need the 8mm one
    Yes the 4mm doesn't sense through the mirror and you also need to feed it 12v so if you have ramps you will need to wire 2 resistors to drop the output to 5v otherwise you fry the Arduino.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 02-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

I was thinking about releasing the designs to my printer, i had planned to build and sell these, but with so many cheap units flooding the market i decided it was probably not worth it, if anyone is interested i will go to the effort of updating the BOM's and finishing the documentation.

Cronos-FDM.uk

Thanks

Alex

Inspired by this thread, and on a bit of a rush of blood, i decided to buy a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanhao-I3-...72.m2749.l2649
    It arrived yesterday :-)

I'm a total 3d print noob, so the reasons i went for this particular one are:

• Was mentioned as a good choice in this thread.
    • Price, £379.
    • Generally positive reviews on internet & You Tube.

Overall I'm very impressed, for the money.
    As I had already watched quite a few YouTube guides, assembly & setup was a breeze.
    It took me about 45 mins from the box coming through the door to starting my first print. (the 'ok' hand that comes on the SD card)
    The print quality is pretty good. Again i'm more than happy with it for the money paid.

I've printed a lens cap & gimbal mount for my camera using STL files downloaded from the internet(Thingiverse) and then used Cura to generate the G-Code
    It was all relatively straightforward & again very happy with results

Next step is to try some of my own stuff drawn in Fusion 360.

It's worth pointing out that I have never even seen a 3d printer 'in the flesh' before this one, so don't take my impressions as worth much. I don't have anything to compare to!

The photo's are of my first few prints. They look better in real life than in the photos! (The white plastic doesn't seem to photograph very well)

I'm stoked
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f106349824 (Large).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	22444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f106388736 (Large).jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	380.0 KB 
ID:	22442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f106424832 (Large).jpeg 
Views:	211 
Size:	470.2 KB 
ID:	22443

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Greeny For This Useful Post:

Inspired by this thread, and on a bit of a rush of blood, i decided to buy a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanhao-I3-...72.m2749.l2649
    It arrived yesterday :-
    Nice one, Kind of wishing I had just bought one now...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information