. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    What a good idea. I was going to ask how you got on with the SMD bit. I'd heard that you had to glue them on first, which could be a problem if u accidently fry it whilst soldering.
    So had I, but I was also concerned about getting a thin enough area of glue so that the chip sat down on the pad and not gettng glue where it shouldnt be. Glue and I are not compatible!

The idea above is not mine, Phil outlines it in the assembly guidance for his boards, but I adapted it to what I had - the coat hanger wire is a tad too thick but its all I had to hand. here are some more pics, showing one of the 1206-style chip capacitors in its protective strip and the chip held to the board by the wire device (but not finally positioned yet)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepperdrives 007.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepperdrives 011.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	740  
    Last edited by irving2008; 15-08-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't use SMD bits for soldering SMD - I use a pair of normally closed tweezers, and a soldering iron with a 1mm tip on it. Works very well (well enough for those 80-pin 0.5mm spaced PICs).

0604 is the smallest I've done for resistors, but I tend to use 0805s instead (and 1206 if I need a bit of current).

I did buy some 4-resistor 0402s for a project, and also to see how I get on with them.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Cheers guys. I need to know more so i will start a new tread tommorow on SMD. If its that easy then I can see this being worth while. SMD seems alot cheaper.......

Have you seen the guys on the net using hotel style toasters for smd?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Cheers guys. I need to know more so i will start a new tread tommorow on SMD. If its that easy then I can see this being worth while. SMD seems alot cheaper.......

Have you seen the guys on the net using hotel style toasters for smd?
    Will wait for thread - I've been doing SMD for quite a while now, and prefer it to PTH.

The toasters are, to me, a bit of an overkill, and it's basically making your own reflow oven - it's good if you've got a lot of components to do, since they are done at the same time, but for the numbers I do, it's not something I need. The two key components (in addition to the tweezers) I have are a temperature controlled soldering iron (with plenty of power), and some desolder braid.

Although having said that, I do have some (prospective) projects that have a large component count, and would benefit from it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information