. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are quite a few people who visit the CamBam forum; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php and present items in 3D for milling. They have difficulty in seeing that only 2.5D is required and a flat dxf file is therefore more appropriate.
    I also think there is a lack of understanding/experience regarding properties of materials and fabrication methods whereby complex objects can be built up from simple parts rather than trying to make it all out of one part.

For me, 3D printing is nowhere near as demanding as cnc routing, other than some CAD work not very much crosses over in my view, maybe just bad habits
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 27-07-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Well I own a bridgeport mill and a colchester student lathe

So i would say i have a reasonably good idea of what can and cannot be done with a traditional machine.

Now what do you mean by 2.5D?

I was talking about the 3D printing people moving to cnc.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I'd get a 3d printer as they're cheap as chips these days and play with the printer and cad until you're comfortable. I started with a 3d printer and what I learnt from the printer was enough to start my router build using my own design. I could already cad when I got the printer and the printer in no way improved my cad skills lol but it did teach me about linear motion, slides, etc.

A gantry router and most 3d printers are not so different really, unless you get a rostock or the like.

Learning how to cad is essential for the home enthusiast IMHO otherwise why do you want a cnc controlled machine?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

5. ViaCAD Pro with the PowerPack gives you a basic slicer and also a reasonable CAD program that does NOT have the IP issues that Fusion360 has. I strongly suggest folks read T&C's before agreeing to things as theirs have a rather nasty bite to them. Yes it is a nice program. Over lap between the two is small and normally dealing with file type more than dealing with g-code or machining operations. I work in both worlds as my job and while some of my tools help each there is very different uses that both require. Blender is a good free tool but has a hill to climb to really get good with it.

I would ask yourself does drawing 3D model with the chalk give you enough to be able to look at all sides and see that one point that is not going to machine well? 3D printing has it's uses and they are many and varied. The current tech has metal printers up to 95% solid IF you believe the folks making the machines. CNC still rules the roost when it comes to time and production, unless you are dealing with a part that is extremely complex than and pretty much only then does a 3D printer out shine. IS that changing? Yes and 3D printing is moving forward very fast and very interesting. CNC is still a veru good way to go and there is a huge field that CNC is the only way to go, so no one is not going to remove the other.

Good luck on buckling down and getting CAD under your belt. Depending on what you are planning and what the budget is i can give rather good list from basic to professional that can get you where you want to go. Only expect atleast 2 weeks of serious study to get good at any CAD system.

Michael
    MM0MSU
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    program that does NOT have the IP issues that Fusion360 has
    What IP issues would those be exactly?

Any designs/IP you create using Fusion are completely yours. If you look at the terms of service for Fusion, Section 2.1 starts with
    "2. CONTENT.
    2.1 Your Content is Yours. You maintain ownership of and responsibility for Your Content and responsibility for Your conduct while using the Service Offering."

http://www.autodesk.com/company/lega...rms-of-service

The only real issue I can see comes to security if doing work for an agency that has requirements as to how data relating to their projects is stored... specifically regarding on site storage/encryption which would be an issue with the way fusion runs it's could services. Unlikely to be an issue for any hobby enthusiast!
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 05-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information