. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I need to do a set of 4.3 and 5.3 mm holes, at least 20mm deep.

I can drill these but will need to buy specific drill bits which may never get used again (around £15 each, carbide).

I could interpolate, problem is that a 3 or 4mm endmill typically only has a flute length of around 10mm max. There would likely be long reach endmills, will have to source.

Accuracy needs to be fairly good, how would you do this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Those are about the size of a No4 and No18 drill if these are cheaper and accurate enough.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Those are about the size of a No4 and No18 drill if these are cheaper and accurate enough.
    Thanks, ive not seen those sizes before, checking prices.

Any idea who sells them in the UK?
    Last edited by Chaz; 25-07-2017 at 09:40 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

So your going to be doing some tapping?

I would just spot drill (good them osborn/europa), then open them up as normal i.e jobber/twist drill bit, I've been using these Heller HSS German made bits pretty much exclusively recently without fail.

They do HSS-R and HSS-G versions, R is for non alloyed steels and G is aimed at alloyed, the G have a 135 degree split point for optimum centering and dimensional accuracy.

You can find them all over eBay if you search, I've even got their 15 and 20mm "black smith" type to open up clearance holes for my leadscrews...they worked sweet as a nut!

I wouldn't go anything less than the 4.3 you need, use the 4.3 for the 5.3 as well so you've got a nice pilot hole you can then open up, use plenty of cutting oil and take your time, dont forget to give the holes a small chamfer to help the tap locate :)
    .Me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    So your going to be doing some tapping?

I would just spot drill (good them osborn/europa), then open them up as normal i.e jobber/twist drill bit, I've been using these Heller HSS German made bits pretty much exclusively recently without fail.

They do HSS-R and HSS-G versions, R is for non alloyed steels and G is aimed at alloyed, the G have a 135 degree split point for optimum centering and dimensional accuracy.

You can find them all over eBay if you search, I've even got their 15 and 20mm "black smith" type to open up clearance holes for my leadscrews...they worked sweet as a nut!

I wouldn't go anything less than the 4.3 you need, use the 4.3 for the 5.3 as well so you've got a nice pilot hole you can then open up, use plenty of cutting oil and take your time, dont forget to give the holes a small chamfer to help the tap locate :)
    Thanks.

Phantom Drills came back and offered this:-

Phantom drill 11.770

They are cheaper than carbide, around £5 each. This was based on my requirement to do 'high speed' drilling due to limited low speed torque with the Chinese spindle.

This wont be tapped, its a through hole for a bolt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    This wont be tapped, its a through hole for a bolt.
    Ok so the .3 is putting you in the middle of standard and close fit, what I've linked to should give you what you need for a through/clearance hole of fairly good accuracy surely?
    .Me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Ok so the .3 is putting you in the middle of standard and close fit, what I've linked to should give you what you need for a through/clearance hole of fairly good accuracy surely?
    Yep, exactly. Ill order those drill bits, seems good value for money and keep for future if I ever need to do similar again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Yep, exactly. Ill order those drill bits, seems good value for money and keep for future if I ever need to do similar again.
    Cool, if you look I think you can just buy 1 bit at a time for 99p all in or something from another seller, saves buying a box of 10.

I'll confirm what I've got if you want and send you?
    .Me

Last edited by EddyCurrent; 25-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Cool, if you look I think you can just buy 1 bit at a time for 99p all in or something from another seller, saves buying a box of 10.

I'll confirm what I've got if you want and send you?
    Sure, thanks, happy to pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information