. .
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Ok First from what you have said are you sure that you have a good earth into your shop (is it actually connected)?

Where are the pictures?

It is beneficial to wire steppers with 4 core screened cable with the control box end of the screen connected to the star point.

Personally I would keep the vfd mains wiring on its own socket.
    If you have grounded the screen on the spindle cable at the vfd end. then don't connect the screen at the other end.

Have you grounded the machine frame? to the star point. (the purpose of the star point is to avoid ground loops)

I take it that the electricity supplier give you an earth connection and that you are not using an earth rod in the ground.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

[QUOTE=dachopper;93928]

The spindle is leaking current to the entire machine when it is powered somehow.

Inside the 2.2KW inverter, I have the house power connected to R /T on the left for active / neutral, and Ground on the far right.

Attachment 22499

Why is the blue Neutral wire going to a frame screw and jumping back to the R/T side? could this be the culprit.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok First from what you have said are you sure that you have a good earth into your shop (is it actually connected)?

Where are the pictures?

It is beneficial to wire steppers with 4 core screened cable with the control box end of the screen connected to the star point.

Personally I would keep the vfd mains wiring on its own socket.
    If you have grounded the screen on the spindle cable at the vfd end. then don't connect the screen at the other end.

Have you grounded the machine frame? to the star point. (the purpose of the star point is to avoid ground loops)

I take it that the electricity supplier give you an earth connection and that you are not using an earth rod in the ground.
    Hi clive....

So this is what I'm at now.

I checked all the stepper motor shielded cables, made sure they were insulated at the stepper motor end and touching nothing, then at the control box end they all go to the star point.

The VFD spindle/Z axis block is now earthed direct to the star point. ( No other frame earth, just the one on the Z block )

The VFD cable shield is earthed separately onto the same star block, and it's insulated at spindle end ( not touching the spindle )

The other AC appliances ( VFD + Wood chip motor + 2 x pumps ) are all earthed at the same star point where applicable.

On the earth side - I'm using the house common earth..... how can I test if this is faulty?

I was a little concerned about the cable shielding pushing an AC signal back into the stepper motor shielding, but it seems to be going ok, 40 minutes into a cut now
    Last edited by dachopper; 11-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Hi Phill, it's illusion, the neutral 240 Volt connection for this VFD is active / neutral on far left, and ground far right, then 3x spindle wires in the middle ( there is no spindle ground from manufacturer)

The VFD spindle/Z axis block is now earthed direct to the star point. ( No other frame earth, just the one on the Z block )
    Personally I would just earth the main frame not the Z block ( if you want to earth the Z block connect that to the main frame)

was a little concerned about the cable shielding pushing an AC signal back into the stepper motor shielding, but it seems to be going ok, 40 minutes into a cut now
    Let us know how you get on.

Still no pics of the control box !!
    Last edited by Clive S; 11-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    ..Clive

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0419.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	22515

Name:	IMAG0418.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	22516

Name:	IMAG0417.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	22517

Name:	IMAG0416.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	22518

Name:	IMAG0414.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	22519

The stepper ground is temporary as I was still trying to troubleshoot

Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post
    The stepper ground is temporary as I was still trying to troubleshoot
    Ok It is always better to use twisted pairs for the step and dir wire from the drives to the control board just chop a cat5 cable up.
    ..Clive

10mm x axis skip. I've now moved the vfd braid shield onto a separate ground than the stepper shielding.

If it happens again, I'll move the spindle motor shield onto th

Guess what.... all skips happening on parallel moves..... ! Strange

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information