. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Ok - I thought I would put some closure in here..... The random X and Z axis ' jams' were 100% due to electrical interference from the spindle control wires.

I had unshielded control cable, with shieleded stepper cable

Then I tried shielded control cable but mistakingly placed the machine earth inside the Spindle power cord, and in doing so charged the entire machine up with a generated AC signal.

Then I earthed the frame + spindle + spindle shielding + stepper motor shielding seperately to house earth, and finally, no issues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post

Motors are NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A Single Shaft Stepper Motor KL23H2100-35-4A, 0.9 degree.

Power supply is PS-10N68 - 1000W 68V Power Supply running 4 of the above steppers, ( two of the motors would have been on 50% current hold ) when the other motor stalled also.

Nema23 running on 68V???
    Last edited by dazp1976; 19-08-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Nema23 running on 68V???
    Nothing wrong with that. Most of us run NEMA23 size motors on about 68V. More volts, better performance. The motors are happy enough - mine have been running like that for about 7 years now. As long as your driver can take it (and again, that's why a lot of us use 80V drivers) there's no problem. Just tweak the max current settings on the drivers so that the motors don't overheat.

Somewhere there is a guideline formula (originally from the Gecko people, I believe) that suggests that around 50V is the optimum. Firstly, this is a guideline and not a hard-and-fast rule, and secondly, it's wrong anyway. Go by other people's experience!

Agree. My steppers have been running at 68V on 80V drivers for several years too.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Agree. My steppers have been running at 68V on 80V drivers for several years too.
    If I'd figured that out before, I'd have got the 570oz nema23 on 60v for the AMAT25 rather than the nema34 on 60v I have.

If I'd figured that out before, I'd have got the 570oz nema23 on 60v for the AMAT25 rather than the nema34 on 60v I have.
    It's not that simple.
    A 450oz Nema 34 rated at 6 amps will usually easily outperform a 570oz Nema 23 rated at 5 amps.
    Inductance plays a large role. And typically, smaller nema 34 low inductance motors can spin much faster than large Nema 23 motors.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Horses for courses and You've got the right motors and voltage for that machine. Routers are a different animal so extra torque higher up speed curve helps.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    It's not that simple.
    A 450oz Nema 34 rated at 6 amps will usually easily outperform a 570oz Nema 23 rated at 5 amps.
    Inductance plays a large role. And typically, smaller nema 34 low inductance motors can spin much faster than large Nema 23 motors.
    Ger, I think you got your motor sizes mixed up there...
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Horses for courses and You've got the right motors and voltage for that machine. Routers are a different animal so extra torque higher up speed curve helps.
    Bloody hell Dean where have you been Nice to see you back
    Last edited by Clive S; 24-08-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Bloody hell Dean where have you been Nice to see you back
    Got to get back on the horse some time Clive.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information