. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I do have a PC with a RS-232 port and have tried connecting with that, but I didn't check any of the settings. I'll check the cable too.
    you will have to make sure the baud rate is the same at both ends also start and stop bits are correct, the handshaking might be xon/xoff (ie software handshaking). You might also have to swap pins 2 and 3 over at one end this depends if the Pc is setup as DTE or DCE. one good thing about the com port is that it is hard to break
    Last edited by Clive S; 31-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    you will have to make sure the baud rate is the same at both ends also start and stop bits are correct, the handshaking might be xon/xoff (ie software handshaking). You might also have to swap pins 2 and 3 over at one end this depends if the Pc is setup as DTE or DCE. one good thing about the com port is that it is hard to break
    Thanks Clive, I'll take a look at all the things Boyan mentioned. I'll check the PC DTE or DCE settings - I'll buy a cable that I can alter the connections on.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    you need to keep on eliminating reasons and i can tell you straight away that i would never use USB-RS232 converter for connecting to servos, or anything. . You need a normal. PC with a normal PCI port and an adapter there. Or even better, a PC with a com port that you could control from bios.

Standard RS-232C RS-422A

specifications
    Communications
    method
    Asynchronous (ASYNC)
    Baud rate 2,400 bps
    Start bits 1 bit
    Data 8 bits
    Parity None
    Stop bits 1 bit

That above is from your servo drive manual. If baud rate is not set at Com port same same, communication will NOT ever happen

And most of all check that manual https://www.fa.omron.com.cn/data_pdf...8d-u.pdf?id=68 for the proper connection to the drives from the PC side . Check your cabling if is right.

So in other words from page 1-7 seems you need Null Modem Cable https://www.decisivetactics.com/supp...h-serial-cable

Attachment 22409
    Looking at that drawing and the info you've sent on null modem cables, it's not a straight RS232 cross-over as it's computer pin 2 to driver pin 2 and computer 3 to driver 4. I'll have to make a cable.

Will post and let you know how I get on - thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    you need to keep on eliminating reasons and i can tell you straight away that i would never use USB-RS232 converter for connecting to servos, or anything. . You need a normal. PC with a normal PCI port and an adapter there. Or even better, a PC with a com port that you could control from bios.

Standard RS-232C RS-422A

specifications
    Communications
    method
    Asynchronous (ASYNC)
    Baud rate 2,400 bps
    Start bits 1 bit
    Data 8 bits
    Parity None
    Stop bits 1 bit

That above is from your servo drive manual. If baud rate is not set at Com port same same, communication will NOT ever happen

And most of all check that manual https://www.fa.omron.com.cn/data_pdf...8d-u.pdf?id=68 for the proper connection to the drives from the PC side . Check your cabling if is right.

So in other words from page 1-7 seems you need Null Modem Cable https://www.decisivetactics.com/supp...h-serial-cable

Attachment 22409
    OK, got the software to talk to the driver thanks to your diagram Boyan - many thanks. USB-RS232 working well - software thinks it's 422, but I'm not splitting hairs.

Do you have a source for the manual? - it's not the same as the two I already have and may contain more detail. The manuals I have don't show pin numbers for the CN3 port for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    OK, got the software to talk to the driver thanks to your diagram Boyan - many thanks. USB-RS232 working well - software thinks it's 422, but I'm not splitting hairs.

Do you have a source for the manual? - it's not the same as the two I already have and may contain more detail. The manuals I have don't show pin numbers for the CN3 port for instance.
    In your manual when you read it carefully here and there is mentioned about some sub manuals, like the one i linked to. Or just do a careful straight google search for the thing you have not clear. i have 2 manuals for my Samsung servos, and they are slightly different.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Many thanks for everyone's input. Managed to get the software talking to the driver and to run the motor. Software works very nicely. Loads of torque from tiny little motor - very impressive. I think my Leadshine stepper drivers may be up for sale shortly! Next step to configure the parameters and get Mach3 running them.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As far as configuring Mach3 goes, as it's a step/dir servo, it's just the same as configuring a stepper. Set the correct step/distance figure, maximum speed, and fiddle with acceleration.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Well, I'm hitting the buffers again trying to get Mach3 to control the servo system.

Having got the Yaskawa software to power up the motor and drive it at various speeds it seems that fundamentally the drive and motor are sound. However, the drive does do something weird. Having set the parameters all back to factory settings I then set the Cn-01 bit 0 to 1, which switches the motor on at start up without any external commands. All good except the motor rotates at around 1-2rpm. Changing the direction parameter changes the direction of rotation. I can't see what command is causing the rotation. If Cn01 bit 0 is changed back to 0 and the motor jog test performed the motor remains locked in position until commanded to run forward or reverse. I did wonder if it was interference on the encoder cable (the temporary set up is using shielded but not twisted pair cable), but this doesn't fit with the jog test results. Both the drivers I have do the same thing.

I found the following instructions on another forum:

This is just for the SGD and SGDA type P Yaskawa Servos to get the very minimum wiring to give Pulse and Direction control. The only signals you have to have on 1CN are pins 1, 2, 3 & 4. To use this minimalist configuration, set parameter Cn-01 to 0000 0000 1010 1101 or AD hex. Set Cn-02 to all zeros, or 00 hex. This means the drive will power up in the on state and won't be looking for or caring about overtravel switches. To clear a fault, power down and back up.

Now tie 1CN pins 2 & 4 to common (0 Volts) of the printer port (PP) or breakout board (BOB) and pin 1 to the step output of the PP or BOB through (in series with) a 180 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. 1CN pin 3 ties through a 180 ohm resistor to the direction output.
    Apart from the fact that the parameter instructions don't quite make sense, if I use either of the Cn-1 settings which switch the motor on at start up, a Mach3 command to rotate in the forward direction causes the motor to run at 2480 rpm (or thereabouts) and a reverse command causes the motor to stop, well, almost stop - it does the 1-2rpm thing instead.

One other interesting observation: if power to the breakout board is switched off Mach3 commands still do the same as above but at 1109 rpm and 1rpm

I have to say that I've never come across a more opaque manual - I've read and read and still can't fathom what parameters need to be changed to get sensible functioning.

Actually looking at that quotation again it does make sense, it's just not very clear that they are referring to the bit settings on all the zeros.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The drives are definitely step/dir input, and not analogue?

The creeping sounds just like what an analogue drive would do if the servo loop wasn't active, and the residual voltage was causing drifting. It would also tie in with the moving at speed, or creeping, as the direction pin goes from near 0V to whatever voltage it puts out at high (3.3-5v?).
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information