. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    Actually looking at that quotation again it does make sense, it's just not very clear that they are referring to the bit settings on all the zeros.
    Er, the settings are backwards, but perhaps the author was using different software. The result is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    The drives are definitely step/dir input, and not analogue?

The creeping sounds just like what an analogue drive would do if the servo loop wasn't active, and the residual voltage was causing drifting. It would also tie in with the moving at speed, or creeping, as the direction pin goes from near 0V to whatever voltage it puts out at high (3.3-5v?).
    To be honest I'm not sure. The manual seems to suggest they are step/dir compatible and, to my knowledge, no other forum posts dealing with these drives have mentioned it. The sheet from the manual that I posted seems to state that it will accept pulse and direction.
    Last edited by Agathon; 07-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Sorry see attachment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CN1-pins1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	22483
    Last edited by Agathon; 07-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.

This is what the manual says in the introduction:

Control Functions:
    Any one of the following 4 control modes can be selected in the parameter settings.

S Position Control (Factory Setting)
    Controls the position and speed of the Servomotor very precisely with pulse-train input signals. Any one of the following 3 pulse trains can be selected: forward/reverse pulses, feed pulses/ directional signals, or 90 degree differential phase (A/B phases) signals.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm going to ask a simple question, you have compared the full model number on the drive to the manual?
    It's not got any additional codes that could signify it's a slightly different model?

I've just searched for Omron R88D-U Analog, and it's thrown up a link to an analogue input version of the drive...
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I'm going to ask a simple question, you have compared the full model number on the drive to the manual?
    It's not got any additional codes that could signify it's a slightly different model?

I've just searched for Omron R88D-U Analog, and it's thrown up a link to an analogue input version of the drive...
    Ouch - I think this has just turned into an expensive experiment. The model number is R88D-UA08V. The A is for analogue. Bollox.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    At least you know what the problem is now!

At least you know what the problem is now!
    Well, it's not all negative. It's a steep learning curve, but I'm pretty sure the 200W servos will drive the Fehlmann table without too much trouble. There seem to be plenty of Omron/Yaskawa drivers about and I'll think hard about a use for the three analogue drivers I have - they'd make an excellent power feed for a small mill.

It is a lesson in there not being any free lunches and if something is a bargain price then there's a reason. I shall embark on the next purchase with the question of analogue and digital firmly planted in my consciousness!

I know I'm going to regret asking this as I'm sure it will be more complex and expensive than just shoving these drives back on fleabay, but...

A brief and desperate search leads me to believe that it is possible to control analogue servo drives for position by converting step and direction to analogue signals. Anyone have any knowledge/experience?

This chap appears to be doing the very thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    I know I'm going to regret asking this as I'm sure it will be more complex and expensive than just shoving these drives back on fleabay, but...

A brief and desperate search leads me to believe that it is possible to control analogue servo drives for position by converting step and direction to analogue signals. Anyone have any knowledge/experience?

This chap appears to be doing the very thing:
    if you have a suitable spare galil lying around, then its a very valid option, but galil boards are not that cheap.
    I've seen step/dir to +/-10v interfaces mentioned, but can't remember ever seeing one that's commercially available.

If you did want to run analogue servos, a CS-Lab Csmio/ip-a, Dynomotion Kflop+Kanalog, or whatever the Mesa analogue output board is, would be far better options.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information