. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    if you have a suitable spare galil lying around, then its a very valid option, but galil boards are not that cheap.
    I've seen step/dir to +/-10v interfaces mentioned, but can't remember ever seeing one that's commercially available.

If you did want to run analogue servos, a CS-Lab Csmio/ip-a, Dynomotion Kflop+Kanalog, or whatever the Mesa analogue output board is, would be far better options.
    Looks like this will do it, but I'd have to build the rest of the circuit (probably too much for me) - http://www.uhu-servo.de/servo_en/index.htm

This looks like a ready made solution but with shipping etc it's probably cheaper to ditch the drives and start again - http://www.rutex.com/us/index.php?productID=126

I've seen step/dir to +/-10v interfaces mentioned, but can't remember ever seeing one that's commercially available.
    http://032c30a.netsolhost.com/catalo...products_id/56

$90 each.

And here's an open source design:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-s...10v-servo.html
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

I didn't know Rutex was still in business. They were pretty popular 10-12 years ago, but haven't really heard of anyone using them since then.

CNC Drive is working on an analog controller for UCCNC, but it could be months away, if not longer. But I'd expect it to be the cheapest option, if and when it gets released.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I didn't know Rutex was still in business. They were pretty popular 10-12 years ago, but haven't really heard of anyone using them since then.

CNC Drive is working on an analog controller for UCCNC, but it could be months away, if not longer. But I'd expect it to be the cheapest option, if and when it gets released.
    Many thanks for the links Gerry. The Viper Servo board looks good and is reasonably priced. The problem is getting anything sent from the US seems to be so expensive - three boards 65 bucks. Cheaper to look for replacement drives.

I like the YASP thing a lot, but apart from that to the video none of the other links work.

It would be great if CNC Drive produce something soon - I'll write to them.

David

Highly recommend csmip-ip-s, and maybe modern import step/dir servo drives instead.
    Or use the drives you have in step/dir mode with the csmio-ip-s.
    Very easy, fast, good, done.

I have seen lots of threads about analogue-> s/d conversions.
    Past 14+ years.
    And some few really clever people got them to work really well (Mark V. was one, 8+ years ago).
    Via custom electronics they made (cheap, but I could not design them), lowpass / bandpass filters, tuning, etc.

Look;
    You have a bob .. a converter .. a drive .. tuning .. motor.
    Thats 4 pieces of kit in a row, and no easy way to detect noise, hum, non-linear response, accuracy etc. etc.

Alternatively, a csmio-ip-a would drive them directly.
    And one of the smartest most capable guys I know uses it with great results. Real VMC, with auto toolchanger and analogue servos.
    He also has an csmio-ip-s like mine, on a small lathe.

I am pretty sure the drives You have can work extremely well.
    Could.

But I also think that You will suffer and struggle to get them to work, and the results are likely to be far from close to optimal - vs what they could do technically.
    Usually, bobs have electronic problems of all sorts.
    Limited speeds, responses, noise, non-linearity, functioning etc etc. and these mostly only appear at high speeds aka servos.

After trying 12+ combos for 10+ years, I ditched all that and imported new ac servos myself and cslabs controllers.
    Right choice.

You can get new small 400W servos for 290€/axis, more or less, EU, all in.

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    Highly recommend csmip-ip-s, and maybe modern import step/dir servo drives instead.
    Or use the drives you have in step/dir mode with the csmio-ip-s.
    Very easy, fast, good, done.

I have seen lots of threads about analogue-> s/d conversions.
    Past 14+ years.
    And some few really clever people got them to work really well (Mark V. was one, 8+ years ago).
    Via custom electronics they made (cheap, but I could not design them), lowpass / bandpass filters, tuning, etc.

Look;
    You have a bob .. a converter .. a drive .. tuning .. motor.
    Thats 4 pieces of kit in a row, and no easy way to detect noise, hum, non-linear response, accuracy etc. etc.

Alternatively, a csmio-ip-a would drive them directly.
    And one of the smartest most capable guys I know uses it with great results. Real VMC, with auto toolchanger and analogue servos.
    He also has an csmio-ip-s like mine, on a small lathe.

I am pretty sure the drives You have can work extremely well.
    Could.

But I also think that You will suffer and struggle to get them to work, and the results are likely to be far from close to optimal - vs what they could do technically.
    Usually, bobs have electronic problems of all sorts.
    Limited speeds, responses, noise, non-linearity, functioning etc etc. and these mostly only appear at high speeds aka servos.

After trying 12+ combos for 10+ years, I ditched all that and imported new ac servos myself and cslabs controllers.
    Right choice.

You can get new small 400W servos for 290€/axis, more or less, EU, all in.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been busy with other stuff recently and haven't had much of a chance to do anything about this yet. However, I think I'm convinced by Clive's argument (made on a number of occasions) that I would be much better off using Linux CNC for my machine. At the moment I'm going to play with the stepper motor set-up and Mach3, but I'm going to get up to speed with LCNC ASAP and then invest in the appropriate Mesa boards to drive the servos.

Out of interest, can you give me a source for the 400W servos you mention?

David

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information