. .
    Hi building an arcade coffee table for mates Bday and his GF asked if I could make it in this style

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidden-oak-arcade-coffee-table.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	22413

How do I make the corner joints on the wooden frame, can this be done with a cnc router? Or i there a simple way to do this without a router? The wood will be either Oak or wallnut.

Would I be better trying to make dovetail joints? These joints are quite chucky I don't think my router bit set will handle them.

Thanks
    Desertboy
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-07-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Yo,

They are just mortise and tenon joints but done on the end of the mortise piece, that type is know as an "open through tenon and mortise joint".

There are so many ways you can make them, its going come down to what tools you've got. The Tenon being the easy bit.

Your getting towards fine wood working with stuff like this, YouTube?
    .Me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Taking into account what you said, maybe this idea would be easier. Laminate three pieces for each part, I've coloured the wood differently so you can see the laminations easier. You could leave the ends square or mitre the outside ones like the example. Use Titebond Original glue. Provided the pieces are all planed to the same thickness you should have a perfect fitting joint.

The one in your picture is called a "corner bridle joint".
    The one in my picture is a "mitred corner bridle joint".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joint.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	22422
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 31-07-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Open too all suggestions just need it to look good as I totally bullshitted her that I could do it lol.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Desertboy,
    Just so you know, I'm not guessing or having a stab at some idea, working with wood is what I do.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Desertboy,
    Just so you know, I'm not guessing or having a stab at some idea, working with wood is what I do.
    Excellent! I'll make you regret you ever said that ha ha ha.

Desert, here is a nice video by Mitch Peacock showing how to do a bridle joint by hand if you fancy having a go.

My experience with tenon's and half lap's is mostly at the "first fix" level, I generally do this using a mitre saw via the blade depth stop, tuning with a wood chisel as needed, at that level it obviously doesn't need to look too beautiful but I've also used this method to make a few shaker style cabinet doors here and there with great results, if you score your lines with a scoring knife (stanley blade) you can get the finished joints looking clean and crisp.
    .Me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Desert, here is a nice video by Mitch Peacock showing how to do a bridle joint by hand if you fancy having a go.

My experience with tenon's and half lap's is mostly at the "first fix" level, I generally do this using a mitre saw via the blade depth stop, tuning with a wood chisel as needed, at that level it obviously doesn't need to look too beautiful but I've also used this method to make a few shaker style cabinet doors here and there with great results, if you score your lines with a scoring knife (stanley blade) you can get the finished joints looking clean and crisp.
    That guy makes it look easy

Thread Information