. .
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks Clive,

This would presumably be the same output voltage as what the chap in the youtube video had? ~76v?

Certainly seems much cheaper even when you add in the plate to mount it on.

Thanks

Alex

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDoran View Post
    Thanks Clive,

This would presumably be the same output voltage as what the chap in the youtube video had? ~76v?

Certainly seems much cheaper even when you add in the plate to mount it on.

Thanks

Alex
    The voltage should be around 68-70V Depending on mains voltage at the time.
    I think he measured it without a load on it

The chap in the video has a full build blog on here aka Mr Joe Harris
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I watched both videos now on building PSU I had a quick question he used 4 capacitors? You linked to 3 capacitors? Is this because the ones you linked to are more powerful? Or is there something else going on I don't understand.

I'm guessing the capacitors are just storing the energy to level out any surges? Is this correct?
    Last edited by Desertboy; 04-09-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Hi @Desertboy,

I remember you saying previously that you had ordered extrusion from KJN, out of interest did you need to tap the holes in the ends of the extrusion? I thought those holes were sized for an M10 thread to be tapped but they are too big, not sure if there is enough material there to get a M12 thread tapped. M11 seem expensive and the site where i have ordered my fixings from don't supply M11.

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by AlexDoran; 04-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Hi @Desertboy,

I remember you saying previously that you had ordered extrusion from KJN, out of interest did you need to tap the holes in the ends of the extrusion? I thought those holes were sized for an M10 thread to be tapped but they are too big, not sure if there is enough material there to get a M12 thread tapped. M11 seem expensive and the site where i have ordered my fixings from don't supply M11.

Thanks

Alex
    Hi I was convinced they were M10's (You maybe got that from me) so holes I had drilled were too small in the end I widened them myself. I never tapped the ends I used M12 bolts and drove them in using an impact driver and stainless steel A2 socket caps was still hard work with the impact driver lol but only took 15 minutes just heavy on the hands.

I used the T nut 90° corners to assemble at right angles the frame before I drove the bolts in then undid the corners and moved on to the next piece to try and keep everything as straight as possible. This was especially important on the bed frame which wants to twist when you drive the bolts in.

I recessed the gantry into the aluminium which removed any twist when I drove those bolts, when I tightened the gantry mounts to the Hiwin carriages the gantry sat it fine without any bolts perfect fit this really made it a lot easier. In fact if you don't recess I doubt you could do it the way I did. I have a 5mm recess either side in 20mm tooling plate.

I think it turned out ok
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recess.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	537.6 KB 
ID:	22710

Name:	energy chain.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	556.3 KB 
ID:	22711

It could be done with a bar and a lever (I did a few like this) but it's very hard work. You could also drill the internal out with an the correct sized drill bit (Guessing 10.5mm or 11mm) then it'll be easier to tap.

In retrospect I should have had KJN tap it.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 04-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Hi Desertboy, your machine looks good, nice progress! I can now see why you did not tap the ends of the extrusion - what a f*cking nightmare! Fortunately KJN sent me two lengths of the incorrect extrusion that i quickly had a practice on, so the middle of the Extrusion is indeed a hole that is the correct size to tap an M12 thread in, HOWEVER as the diagram below, because the circle is within a square it makes it impossible to tap, once the thread has been cut into the circle material, it slips out and into the the 4 empty corners.

Name:	KJN993120.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	22720

I think i will do the same as you and drive the bolt in to get the thread... I'm worried now that there isn't enough meat there to provide a strong connection.

In other news, my spindle kit, steppers, stepper drivers arrived. Just waiting on the PSU's, controller and some other little bits before i start mocking the machine up.

Name:	21533751_10159228651575557_2063335835_o.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	22722

Name:	21458740_10159228650740557_335451473_o.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	22723

Name:	21392607_10159228650770557_755930896_o.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	22724

Alex
    Last edited by AlexDoran; 06-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Hi Desertboy, your machine looks good, nice progress! I can now see why you did not tap the ends of the extrusion - what a f*cking nightmare! Fortunately KJN sent me two lengths of the incorrect extrusion that i quickly had a practice on, so the middle of the Extrusion is indeed a hole that is the correct size to tap an M12 thread in, HOWEVER as the diagram below, because the circle is within a square it makes it impossible to tap, once the thread has been cut into the circle material, it slips out and into the the 4 empty corners.

Name:	KJN993120.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	22720

I think i will do the same as you and drive the bolt in to get the thread... I'm worried now that there isn't enough meat there to provide a strong connection.

In other news, my spindle kit, steppers, stepper drivers arrived. Just waiting on the PSU's, controller and some other little bits before i start mocking the machine up.

Alex
    My profiles look different on the internal core.

Name:	KJN990520.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	22721

Both my 4545 and 9045 have the same internal core

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/a...20.html#SID=29

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/a...KJN990300.html

e2a, Ah I see you have 4040 extrusion
    Last edited by Desertboy; 06-09-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Ahh man what a nightmare not sure im going to be able to get this to work then, spoke to someone at KJN who said that they tap M12 on the ends all the time? Must be doing it on a mill surely?

Alex

Ahh man what a nightmare not sure im going to be able to get this to work then, spoke to someone at KJN who said that they tap M12 on the ends all the time? Must be doing it on a mill surely?

Alex
    They have a machine for tapping the ends with clamps it's done horizontally (They can tap 6m lengths), you could ring round some engineering places local to you shouldn't cost you much to have them tapped it's not a hard job with the right setup.

Or put a request up in the jobs section on here someone on here will have the right kit.

I think tapping machines spin very slow but with very high torque so you can't do it with a stand drill press or dewalt. Impact gun might work BUT you'll probably just break even the biggest and strongest taps. I've seen decent impact guns by Snap on break seized wheel nuts in 1/2 lol.

My dad's company repairs lorries so I have access to some beefy and expensive kit.

How I did though was plough the bolt in the first few mm to centre the extrusion then I bolted 90° corners with T nuts to keep the extrusion straight whilst I drove the bolts in tight. Then unbolted the corner and T nuts and moved to the next one.

This won't work for the gantry but because mine was recessed it wasn't a problem as the aluminium couldn't twist when driving the bolt in. So I think the gantry will need to tapped or you will need to recess the extrusion into the gantry mounting plate.

Maybe you make a jig to keep the extrusion straight whilst you bolt it in. I wouldn't stress too much this is a solvable problem a PITA maybe but every first router build has to have it's drama it's traditional.

I learnt my lesson on the next build I'm going to go round either Zeeflyboy's, Routercnc or Clive S's house and steal their router, Chaz is safe with Thor I don't have a crane and I think my pickup would snap in 1/2 lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 06-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Yep might just have to run them to the shop up the road and let them deal with it haha.

Thanks again for the info mate!

Alex

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information