. .
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    They're a little bit bigger than the usual choc-block style connector strip, but I've used a few of these which seem to work well. They also have the advantage that because they're spring-loaded, they are much less sensitive to vibration than screw terminals. Also, each wire goes into its own little socket so no need to twist wires together as you do with choc block - always end up chasing odd strands, trying to balance the lengths of wires, etc, when I use them. Don't know if anyone sells them in smaller quantities.

Thanks for the replies guys, think i've got my head wrapped around it now, would it be bad practise to splice & solder the wires then heatshrink it all up afterwards?

Thanks

Alex

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDoran View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, think i've got my head wrapped around it now, would it be bad practise to splice & solder the wires then heatshrink it all up afterwards?

Thanks

Alex
    That's the way I always do it. Use screened 4 core and ground the screen to the star point in the control box.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    They're a little bit bigger than the usual choc-block style connector strip, but I've used a few of these which seem to work well. They also have the advantage that because they're spring-loaded, they are much less sensitive to vibration than screw terminals. Also, each wire goes into its own little socket so no need to twist wires together as you do with choc block - always end up chasing odd strands, trying to balance the lengths of wires, etc, when I use them. Don't know if anyone sells them in smaller quantities.
    I thought I was the only one using those connectors...

Another advantage of them is the wide range of wire diameters they can handle. In my opinion, they are much better than screw terminal blocks. Basically, the only thing I find to their disadvantage is that they don't have any good way of fixing them, so if you are in need of using a few in a small space then the looks are not as nice as using screw terminal blocks. My PSU looks a bit messy because of this, but never the less, I find them very nice to use and practical.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 19-09-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    That's the way I always do it. Use screened 4 core and ground the screen to the star point in the control box.
    Thanks Clive, this is what i will also be doing then.

Done some more on the electronics whilst i wait for some bolts to come, also need to machine some mock up parts tomorrow to finish the dry assembling, then hopefully should get some movement early next week. Was confused as hell earlier trying to figure out wiring the VFD using single phase, actually it was simplest thing ever!

Need to decide if i want to mount the controller on top of the PC Case using some kind of Arm / Swivel attachment, then fix the PC Case to the Bench the machine will be sat on, or have the Controller as a portable unit. Not sure the machine is big enough to warrant a portable one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21895099_10159288617210557_1981348953_o.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	22832

Name:	21895032_10159290009820557_1892936567_o.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	22833

Name:	21908202_10159290009835557_99807550_o.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	22834

Name:	21930857_10159290009525557_1477956181_o.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	22835

Thanks

Alex

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Alex I would be putting some insulation over the mains terminals in the box before it bites you.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Yeah i got a load of Heatshrinking to do, just wanted to make sure everything was functional before i made it pretty & safe :D

Alex

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexDoran For This Useful Post:

I love how you've done it all very neat, mine is going to like Beirut on a bad day lol.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    mine is going to like Beirut on a bad day lol.
    Not true that!

Anyone know where is a good place to get some Shielded 18Awg 4 Core Cable for my steppers?? Also I've seen a few recommendations on the net but wondered what people on here were using for the Spindle cabling??

Thanks again guys

Alex

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information