. .
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDoran View Post
    Anyone know where is a good place to get some Shielded 18Awg 4 Core Cable for my steppers?? Also I've seen a few recommendations on the net but wondered what people on here were using for the Spindle cabling??

Thanks again guys

Alex
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-CY-CAB...72.m2749.l2649

Ring around electrical wholesalers in your area for CY cable or just buy it off ebay but if you do buy online buy at least 50% more than you think you need lol.

I have 1.5mm for spindle cable and 0.75mm for the steppers.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-CY-CAB...72.m2749.l2649

Ring around electrical wholesalers in your area for CY cable or just buy it off ebay but if you do buy online buy at least 50% more than you think you need lol.

I have 1.5mm for spindle cable and 0.75mm for the steppers.
    Cheers mate that looks perfect will have a phone around, can i use this stuff for the spindle too?

Cheers mate that looks perfect will have a phone around, can i use this stuff for the spindle too?
    Yes it's good for the spindle but make sure it's CY not SY cable this is very important as SY cable is not at all flexible. Also SY is a lot more expensive (It's armoured). I use a company called Rexel Senate for wiring you could see if you have a branch locally. Prices were similar as ebay but without the postage and of course you can get it today/tomorrow.

http://wfsenate.co.uk/
    Last edited by Desertboy; 22-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Yes it's good for the spindle but make sure it's CY not SY cable this is very important as SY cable is not at all flexible. Also SY is a lot more expensive (It's armoured). I use a company called Rexel Senate for wiring you could see if you have a branch locally. Prices were similar as ebay but without the postage and of course you can get it today/tomorrow.

http://wfsenate.co.uk/
    http://www.cablechoiceguide.co.uk/ca...ontrol-cables/

The differences between the three cables are as follows:
    CY Cables are used when interference-free transmission is needed. The CY Cable has a Multi-core Flex and a tinned copper wire braid and a PETP (Polyethylene Terephthalate) separator. All these work together to protect the cable from external electromagnetic influences and mechanical stress.

YY Cable works well within light mechanical stress and is suited to most environments. It is very versatile so can be used outside when protected and in dry and moist conditions inside.

SY Cable is the strongest cable from this family. It offers reliable mechanical protection and the galvanised steel wire braid makes it ultra strong and durable.
    Control Cable Similarities
    All three cables have similar properties. They are all highly flexible Multi-core cables with copper conductors (Class 5) and have a voltage rating of 300/500V.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Not sure what size energy chain you have but I only just managed to squeeze 2 lines (1 0.75mm for the Z axis motor and 1 1.5mm for the spindle) in my smaller energy chain (this spans the gantry) and luckily I got a wider chain for the Y axis as it will have an extra lead going through it (Gantry motor).

My energy chain is this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-20mm-...72.m2749.l2649

and this one is the bigger stuff for the Y axis
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-cm-R3-...72.m2749.l2649

I couldn't get my water lines in the chain but I didn't want the water running in the energy chain with electrical wiring anyways lol.

Thanks for your replies guys, i ended up getting a reel from RS Components for about £50 and some marine grade connectors whilst i was there. Had some movement out of the X & Y Axis! Fastest they seem to be able to Jog at the moment is 12500mm/min, i have not played with any acceleration settings yet. Waiting for 2 x DB25 Breakout Boards and DB25 2m cable to come so i can start properly wiring the controller, at the moment i've just run some cables to test movement. Also got the new Samsung Note 8 so now i can take photo's that don't look like they were taken on a potato.

Ordered some 40 x 15mm Cable drags, which should give me enough space to run 4 Lots of the CY Cable and also the Coolant Lines for the spindle. Need to start looking at what endstops i would like to use, i have a hole bag of micro switches that i could use but i think i would like to use some nice LED Inductive Sensors.

Made a start on modelling a hand held case for the DDCSV controller so that it can easily be carried around the machine to any position, it will also have a stand it can be put on.

I decided that it might be better to fix the machine to the bench it will be on, will this be satisfactory in terms of absorbing some vibrations or should i look at filling the extrusions with resin? What resin should i look at if this is the case?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170927_143017.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	22878

Name:	20170927_143037.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	22879

Name:	20170927_143106.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	22880

Name:	20170927_143129.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	22881

Thanks

Alex

Also got the new Samsung Note 8 so now i can take photo's that don't look like they were taken on a potato.
    ...now you must practice how to set the orientation right. The pictures are nice but they are all (even the videos) turned 90 degrees... ;) I mean, the videos are supposed to be taken with the phone in horizontal orientation otherwise you are wasting image surface area.

Anyway, it is really a very nice machine you are building. The only thing I notice is that you seem to have made the same mistake I did regarding the Z plate. The linear bearings should be the other way round, the rails moving up/down and the bearings fixed. If not too late you should change that. For me it is too late now, but it sure will be the first thing I'll correct next time I upgrade my CNC.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 27-09-2017 at 06:12 PM.

The machine looks good, it seems you are getting close now!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    ...now you must practice how to set the orientation right. The pictures are nice but they are all (even the videos) turned 90 degrees... ;) I mean, the videos are supposed to be taken with the phone in horizontal orientation otherwise you are wasting image surface area.

Anyway, it is really a very nice machine you are building. The only thing I notice is that you seem to have made the same mistake I did regarding the Z plate. The linear bearings should be the other way round, the rails moving up/down and the bearings fixed. If not too late you should change that. For me it is too late now, but it sure will be the first thing I'll correct next time I upgrade my CNC.
    Lol I took the photos portrait and they are portrait on my PC, so not sure why they have uploaded rotated! Schoolboy error on the video though haha

That's an interesting point about the Z Bearings, so is the point of this to be able to spread the bearings further apart?? Maybe I could change the design, I'll have to have a play around with the CAD model.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    The machine looks good, it seems you are getting close now!
    Thanks, still a way to go yet I feel!

Thanks

Alex

If you look at the geometry of the Z plates and imagine both ways of positioning rails and bearings, you will see that you get better support of the moving plate through its full travel if you put the bearing carriages on the fixed plate. It feels wrong at first, but it's the right thing to do! The rails also provide a slight stiffening effect on the moving plate as well, although if you use the usual 20mm plate, that's not going to matter much.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information