. .
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    While I agree, it was pointed out to me that it can make the Z-axis less versatile... it can limit the ability to retract the Spindle and tool above the gantry base height which can cause problems when using long tools and/or tall stock.

Just worth considering if that sort of thing is on the agenda.

No argument there - good engineering is all about compromise, and understanding the trade-offs so you pick the right compromise is important.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Having had a QUICK look, im mot sure that will work for me as I need to be able to get a 80mm tall workpiece in there and machine at least half way through,l. I will have a more detailed look tomorrow. I am probably going to space the carriages out slightly more and sacrifice travel at the lower limit as it will currently reach below the horizontal braces with a tool in the collect.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Alex

So i adjusted some of the components of the Z Axis to hopefully improve how rigid it is, previously that blocks that connect the Spindle Mount to the Linear Carriages were shorter than the Spindle Mount, in order to try and maximise Axis Travel, however in reality this meant that the spindle could reach well below the bed even without a tool in the collet, so i decided to make the Connection Blocks longer and increase the spacing of the Carriages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z.png 
Views:	390 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	22883

I started looking today about how i need to properly Ground the Spindle at the VFD side, whilst looking for information i came accross a forum post on CNCZone that said many of the Chinese spindles do not have their Ground pins connected to anything inside the Spindle, so i decided to take the top off and have a look - and not much of a surprise as the Ground pin was not connected to anything. Where can i connect this to? Should i just drill and tap a hole so that a connector can be screwed to the casing and soldered the correct pin?

Name:	22070492_10159323569475557_793781739_o.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	22884

I've also been scouring the net today trying to find some nice proximity sensors to be used as limit switches, i think the DDSCV1.1 can use 12v limit switches? Could be wrong any advice would be appreciated.

Also waiting for the Cable Drags and breakout boards to arrive so i can design some brackets and a portable enclosure for the controller.

Also been searching for the correct resin to fill the extrusions with, anyone have any personal experience / recommendations?

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by AlexDoran; 28-09-2017 at 05:52 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexDoran For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 52 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Where can i connect this to? Should i just drill and tap a hole so that a connector can be screwed to the casing and soldered the correct pin?
    I just changed one of the socket hold down bolt to one a bit longer and put a connector on that with a nut.

Make sure you clean the water holes and put a little silicone around them to make a good seal when you put the top back on.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I just changed one of the socket hold down bolt to one a bit longer and put a connector on that with a nut.

Make sure you clean the water holes and put a little silicone around them to make a good seal when you put the top back on.
    So simple - yet so brilliant ;) :D Thanks i will do that.

Thanks for the silicone tip i will pop out and grab some tomorrow.

Do you have any idea about the resin for the extrusions?

Thanks

Alex

I was considering filling the extrusion with resin but I asked around the forums and was told it was a waste of time.

I also spoke to a fibreglass guy who told me to use polyurethane with metal filler.

In the end not going to bother this time but will consider it in future.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I was considering filling the extrusion with resin but I asked around the forums and was told it was a waste of time.

I also spoke to a fibreglass guy who told me to use polyurethane with metal filler.

In the end not going to bother this time but will consider it in future.
    I did some digging and came to same conclusion, think i will make the bench very heavy duty and fix the machine to it.

Havn't had as much time as i'd hoped the last few weeks to get much done, got all of the stepper wiring done, the cable drags turned up which meant i could get the lengths correct for the cables. I now have all Axis moving which is a nice milestone in the build. Ordered some Inductive Proximity sensors to act as limit switches, they seem to activate about 1.5mm from Aluminium, which should be ok for me. I need to do some research on the controller, as it has Terminals for Min, Max & Home for each Axis, what would be the scenario where you would have Home different to Min? Do some machines have Home at the Max or maybe Bed Centre?

Name:	20171009_161206.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	22989

Name:	20171009_161158.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	22990

Name:	20171009_161216.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	22991

Name:	20171009_161227.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	22992

Also need to order some Screw Connectors for them.

Got the Spindle wired in also, just need to configure the VFD properly, watched a few videos online which seems to be simple enough.

Also got through EMI / RDI Ferrite Rings for the Spindle cable to try and help reduce interference from the Spindle / VFD (whether it will or not who knows).

Current task is designing a portable enclosure for the DDCSV controller and the Parallel Breakout Board, i got two breakout boards, one to on the Electronics Enclosure and another to go with the DDCSV in its portable enclosure.

Cheers

Alex

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 52 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Alex
    Have you thought about the switches, the way you have them is asking for them to get squashed they might be better mounted so that they slide over the target
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Alex
    Have you thought about the switches, the way you have them is asking for them to get squashed they might be better mounted so that they slide over the target
    Haha don't say that and jinx me :D - Do you mean so that they would be similar to how I have done the Y Axis ones?

Name:	Y.png 
Views:	427 
Size:	855.3 KB 
ID:	23009

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by AlexDoran; 10-10-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information