. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    What size tool, and how many flutes?
    What feed and speed did you use?

Try 4-5m/min at 15,000 rpm.
    Hi Gerry,

Thanks for reply. I was using a single flute spiral bit. 4mm dia and 12mm cut length. Spindle set at 'No 6', which i would take to be about 26,000rpm

I'll need to get back to you about the exact feeds and speeds tomorrow. I set the feed rate in Aspire to 80mm/s in 2mm passes but of course this doesnt necessarily relate to the actual rate, which i'll work out tomorrow in Mach3.

I did notice that it was rounding corners again so that'll need a tweak in motor tuning for wood. Currently settings are for foamboard carving.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feeds.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	22458
    Last edited by marbles; 03-08-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marbles View Post
    I did notice that it was rounding corners again so that'll need a tweak in motor tuning for wood. Currently settings are for foamboard carving.
    Check on the general config page if you have set the "Stop CV on angles > xx Degrees" You can try a value of 50 deg. and reduce it if needed.

To set the velocity and acceleration in motor tunning, increase the values and test by manual jogging and applying some force by hand against the moving axis until the motors will stall to easy. Then decrease a bit the values. You have to restart mach3 for the modified motor tuning settings to take effect.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to paulus.v For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Check on the general config page if you have set the "Stop CV on angles > xx Degrees" You can try a value of 50 deg. and reduce it if needed.

To set the velocity and acceleration in motor tuning, increase the values and test by manual jogging and applying some force by hand against the moving axis until the motors will stall to easy. Then decrease a bit the values. You have to restart mach3 for the modified motor tuning settings to take effect.
    Thanks. All very helpful advice. As I have re-tensioned the v-groove wheels i've noticed it stalling a few times. so will modify and restart.

Seem to be getting somewhere with the 12mm ply cutting after carrying out everyone's suggestions + tightening a slightly slack gantry. Thanks for everyone's help.

Feed 20mm/s
    Speed 15,000rpm
    3mm, two flute up cutter on 2mm deep passes
    Mach3: Velocity 2500 and acceleration 500

I'm not getting the F/S issue of cutting corners i had before and neither is the cutter or timber burnt.
    I am however still getting a furry edge, the block of wood was lightly sanded to get rid of the burr edge so they are not so prominent in this image.

I'm going to invest in a 3.175mm down cut and compression cutter to see where those results take me. At the moment i'm only intending to cut smaller parts and perhaps some cabinet doors at a later stage when I upgrade the gantry and whole machine to R&P.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	22520
    Last edited by marbles; 11-08-2017 at 03:48 PM.

To get rid of the fuzzy top edge, use a downcut bit, and do NOT climb cut.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information