. .
    I have just bought a suregrave machine, think it was from a school originally, I am not very keen on the old software that came with it think it is for a Windows 95 machine, but the frame and the motors seem ripe for conversion.

The motors are hy200 2226 0470 acm8 think I read someplace they are 8lead motors there are 3 of them one on the x,y and z axis. The table itself is well built looks and feels like cast. Its the DSC2000 that I'm not keen on because its old and to much about it I do not know.

I have ordered for my conversion:

2.2kw air spindle with er20 collets
    2.2kw VFD
    Chinese mach3 compatible controller board
    3x TB6600 0.2-5a stepper drivers
    110-220v ACDC 600W switching PSU
    and a mach3 pendant again from china.

will I have to replace the hy200 2226 0470 acm8 motors on the cnc frame, or will they do the job? or should I just go ahead and replace them with nema23 4.2A 3Nm 425oz/in motors. I also didn't realise the spindle was so heavy when I ordered it and was wondering if a bigger motor would be better on the z axis.

also looking for a project box to house all the electronics make it look neater and ideas on what I should get.

hope someone can help, many thanks Paul
    Last edited by DiGi5670; 10-08-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Anyone???

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGi5670 View Post
    Anyone???
    Paul Welcome to the forum. I don't think that you have asked a specific question. You have already ordered what you think you need. Not sure why you orderd the noisy air cooled spindle the WC one's are very quiet
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive, and thanks for the welcome.

I know I have jumped the gun a bit ordering the parts but I sort of got carried away on ebay lol

I know the spindle will be a bit noisier but looking at the reviews on youtube its something I can live with and according to the reviewers there not that bad, I just didn't want to mix water into the equation and another plug socket and remembering to turn the water pump on and off.

My basic question is whether the stuff I have ordered will do what I think its going to be able to do i.e. cut/carve wood and soft metals and whether or not they will work well with the machine, its a new hobby I became fascinated with it when I saw people doing it on youtube, some of the stuff that can be created looks amazing.

Thanks for any response's, feedback, points of wisdom and general chit chat about it anyone can give, it is all appreciated as I am a total noob and I know it.

Paul

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Ok You don't say what model or a link to the machine (crystal ball is broke) I think the clue might be in the name ie Supergrave
    ..Clive

I put it in the title of the thread sorry, its a Suregrave Excalibur DT (2516i) with DSC2000, think it was from a school originally its got a metal and plexiglass cover over to keep dust down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	22585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine-_1.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	22586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine-_1a.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	22587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serial.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	22588

Quote Originally Posted by DiGi5670 View Post
    I put it in the title of the thread sorry, its a Suregrave Excalibur DT (2516i) with DSC2000, think it was from a school originally its got a metal and plexiglass cover over to keep dust down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	22585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine-_1.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	22586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnc-Router-Machine-_1a.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	22587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serial.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	22588
    Well I am not sure what you are asking but it is basically an engraving machine the spindle you have bought may be a bit big for it. I hope that you have not paid too much for it. but good luck with the conversion.
    ..Clive

Thread Information