. .

Thread: Xcarve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thinfourth View Post
    Saw that on eBay.

The only way it could look more lashed together was if it featured duct tape and sticky back plastic. I have distinct feelings that is someone's abandoned project

And it is double the cost of an xcarve for 100mm extra room.

I don't see any advantage
    There's 10 available it's not a project lol, with a proper Mach 3 license and PC, supported rails, 2010 ballscrews and a welded steel frame. This is like 20 times more rigid for a start.

And you don't see the advantage!

Admittedly they didn't picture it properly lol but I think your misunderstanding the differences between both machines they are a world apart.

If I didn't build my own I would have bought one of these but not too hot on supported rail instead of Hiwin's but supported rail is still a hell of a lot better than makerslide style linear rails.

The difference is staggering obvious to me ones made of steel with proper linear slides, ballscrew drives and a real spindle the other is belt driven, has skateboard bearings for a linear slide very weak 20mm aluminium frame and a home router bolted onto it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	22583

Name:	1000_angle_0080_half.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	22584
    Last edited by Desertboy; 16-08-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

That £3k CNC does not look good to me. I see a lot of design mistakes that could have been improved with little or no additional costs. This lead me to the conclusion that the builders are not professionals or not even truly passionate hobbyists.

What about the description of the machine? "nema34 motors with stepper drivers and power supply" Wow! Where's the model of the drives, steppers working voltage, type and size of the power supply, etc, etc. What about endstops, homing sensors, control voltage, maximum speed, etc.

I cannot see any of the above in the pictures, nor in the description. So what are you going to buy? ..."EBay rules apply"

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    There's 10 available it's not a project lol, with a proper Mach 3 license and PC.
    You found the important part, a mach3 licence (£110) on a computer (£70), and you are ready to give them £3000, not knowing exactly what you are paying for.

There's 10 available it's not a project lol, with a proper Mach 3 license and PC, supported rails, 2010 ballscrews and a welded steel frame. This is like 20 times more rigid for a start.

And you don't see the advantage!

Admittedly they didn't picture it properly lol but I think your misunderstanding the differences between both machines they are a world apart.

If I didn't build my own I would have bought one of these but not too hot on supported rail instead of Hiwin's but supported rail is still a hell of a lot better than makerslide style linear rails.

The difference is staggering obvious to me ones made of steel with proper linear slides, ballscrew drives and a real spindle the other is belt driven, has skateboard bearings for a linear slide very weak 20mm aluminium frame and a home router bolted onto it.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	22583

Name:	1000_angle_0080_half.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	22584
    Zooming into the metal work on the eBay bargain machine I must say and this is being 100% honest

My wife can weld better than that

And i am being serious. Look at the welds under the box section.

And looking at the other machines he has for sale they look just as lashed together

I stand by it being an abandoned project

And the clincher for me

Every description sayes

"all cnc are bench tested with multiple profiles any alterations in setting will effect running operations and we will not be held responsible"

It has alarms bells for me

But i have no idea what the parts are worth.

I am well aware the Xcarve is not a brilliant deal on parts alone but they appear to have first class support which could be worth every penny.

Zooming into the metal work on the eBay bargain machine I must say and this is being 100% honest

My wife can weld better than that

And i am being serious. Look at the welds under the box section.

And looking at the other machines he has for sale they look just as lashed together

I stand by it being an abandoned project

And the clincher for me

Every description sayes

"all cnc are bench tested with multiple profiles any alterations in setting will effect running operations and we will not be held responsible"

It has alarms bells for me

But i have no idea what the parts are worth.

I am well aware the Xcarve is not a brilliant deal on parts alone but they appear to have first class support which could be worth every penny.
    Welding is poor if I bought this I would have to reweld lol and my welding is like your wifes. But real slides, ballscrews, mach3 license with PC & real stepper drivers, decent PSU for the motors are the value here.

Have you checked out Shapeoko's yet? A friend of mine bought one and rates it much better than an xcarve and in the same price range.

Not seen a shapeoko but having spent some time on this forum I would now never buy (More likely build) anything that did not have Hiwin style rails and ballscrews or R&P in a zero backlash setup but you'll find most people on here want to make money from their CNC.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 19-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

So we're comparing Shonky with Very Shonky and saying that merely Shonky is therefore worth buying for thousands and then repairing to correct basic engineering shortcomings, which the contraptor (I can't call it manufacture) was too inexperienced/ignorant/inadequate or more likely simply not arsed to address?
    Come on, Reality Check Time! I wouldn't give tuppence and a balloon for any of them :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    So we're comparing Shonky with Very Shonky and saying that merely Shonky is therefore worth buying for thousands and then repairing to correct basic engineering shortcomings, which the contraptor (I can't call it manufacture) was too inexperienced/ignorant/inadequate or more likely simply not arsed to address?
    Come on, Reality Check Time! I wouldn't give tuppence and a balloon for any of them :D
    Ha ha ha, there was a nail and Magicniner hit it on the head ;)

So how much should i be spending and what should i build

And how long will it take to build?

So how much should i be spending and what should i build

And how long will it take to build?
    What size Travel do you want?

What woods do you want to process?

Welding is poor if I bought this I would have to reweld lol and my welding is like your wifes. But real slides, ballscrews, mach3 license with PC & real stepper drivers, decent PSU for the motors are the value here.
    So i should buy that machine and replace the frame, the slides, the ball screws, the computer, the steppers, the power supply.

Mmmmmmm

Not the best start as a first machine

Have you checked out Shapeoko's yet? A friend of mine bought one and rates it much better than an xcarve and in the same price range.

Not seen a shapeoko but having spent some time on this forum I would now never buy (More likely build) anything that did not have Hiwin style rails and ballscrews or R&P in a zero backlash setup but you'll find most people on here want to make money from their CNC.
    Not had a deep look at the Shapeoko yet.

Not too sure what the support is like and i want to find a UK seller that can offer what is basically a turnkey kit.

I have vaguely tempted by the chinesium ones on fleabay but they look like garbage and i guess you get a chinglish manual at best.
    Last edited by thinfourth; 19-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.

What size Travel do you want?

What woods do you want to process?
    This machine some birch ply, some pine and MDF

And size

Well it has to fit in the 1mtr square area in the corner of the shed

And i want to have a play with hanging the plasma cutter off it.

It will be a toy not a business

If this machine is good then machine 2 will be something that can take full sized sheets of plywood and then some.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information