Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11
    New spindle and vfd arrived from cnc4u and I have replaced them wire for wire. Are there any tests I can do to make sure all is ok before I do any damage? We think the fault was at the plug so I have soldered the wires this time as suggested. I did not set up my original and I'm terable at reading (dislexia) and I'm just trying to establish if there is anything that I need to program on it. The new one has a little dial for sped I asume however the old one was set up for the speed to adjust on Mach 3? I'm terafied of turning it on and it going bang again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5118.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	22677  

  2. #12
    Ok First with the spindle wires (three of them) if you have them connected incorrectly it will run in reverse so when you first start it check to make sure it is spinning the correct way. If it is wrong just change over any two of the wires.
    You can do this at the VFD end on the U:V:W terminals.

    You will have to ask cnc4you if the parameters have been set up in the VFD. The Chinese ones quite often need to be set. There is a list of them on the forums some where.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

  3. #13
    Neale's Avatar
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 1,149. Received thanks 208 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Back when I bought my VFD and spindle from CNC4YOU, they came already configured for front-panel control of speed and needed tweaking for Mach3 speed control. But that was over 5 years ago. Good news is that the same VFD and spindle are still working and in regular use!

  4. #14
    I have been trying to look at the manual but most of it is going straight over my head and im not sure what much of it means, they did mention it should be set up but looking at the instructions and what you say maybe its not? what are the things that I should be checking? im assuming some how I can power it up to look and not blow anything up?

  5. #15
    can anyone help, what are the main settings I should be checking on the Huanyang vfd before starting the spindle up?

  6. #16
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  7. #17
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 293. Received thanks 33 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    soldering it sounds like a good move I will be sure to do that, did you take the 4 pins out and then modify it so the wires went through the top? along with the earth?
    I genuinely interested and a little confused... how was the original connector made-off last time, if not soldered?

    Okay, the connector pictured is a little different to the usual chinese jobs that have solder bucket terminals.

    Where I'm coming from is that soldering isn't regarded as a particularly vibration-tolerant electrical termination method (crimping is widely regarded as superior). Unless the OP had, perhaps, screw-terminals?

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I genuinely interested and a little confused... how was the original connector made-off last time, if not soldered?

    Okay, the connector pictured is a little different to the usual chinese jobs that have solder bucket terminals.

    Where I'm coming from is that soldering isn't regarded as a particularly vibration-tolerant electrical termination method (crimping is widely regarded as superior). Unless the OP had, perhaps, screw-terminals?
    Doddy If you are looking at the green connector then I think that is just a 3D printed cover to cover the hole up in the top of the spindle. The original plug and socket have been discarded and the cy cable soldered directly on to the spindle wires.

    My personal opinion is that I would not do this but keep the original plug and socket BUT securely fix the cable to the spindle plate so as there can be no movement in the plug and socket as this is a source of problems with vfd's letting magic smoke out.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

  9. #19
    Doddy's Avatar
    Lives in Preston, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 293. Received thanks 33 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Doddy If you are looking at the green connector then I think that is just a 3D printed cover to cover the hole up in the top of the spindle. The original plug and socket have been discarded and the cy cable soldered directly on to the spindle wires.

    My personal opinion is that I would not do this but keep the original plug and socket BUT securely fix the cable to the spindle plate so as there can be no movement in the plug and socket as this is a source of problems with vfd's letting magic smoke out.
    I was looking at the picture on page 1, but now having seen your reply I've noticed the second image. Not keen - I'd be concerned that such thin-walled printed structure certainly will be porous and provide little to no mechanical relief. I'd agree with Clive's suggestion - get some saddle clips (or similar rigid mount) on the plate and tie-wrap the cable-form to these. It works on fast-jets, should be fine on a milling machine.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    New spindle and vfd arrived from cnc4u and I have replaced them wire for wire. Are there any tests I can do to make sure all is ok before I do any damage?
    If you have metered across the phase wires in pairs and all 3 sets of windings read similarly and you've metered the resistance to earth too and that reads open circuit then your motor is fine and you shouldn't be able to damage a VFD with it.

    - Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •