. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,
    a few years ago JazzCNC built me a router, however this last year I've had a reoccurring issue- the spindle either stops after a few mins, or more typically just doesn't start, the VFD has no reaction to mach3, even hammering the spindle button on mach3 has rarely worked.
    Normally it's just a minor niggle - I leave it for switched off an hour and it magically works again (any less than an hour and it doesn't!?) but today it did 4 mins work and then decided no more, and the VFD hasn't reacted to mach3 since.
    I've tried2 PC's, and changed the Ethernet cable, but neither has made a difference.
    I'm not too technically minded, but maybe someone can help (Dean??)- I have taken a pic of the VFD, I've no idea why!
    All I can tell you is the taped off wire is because the water pump was playing up a while ago and so I disconnected it- it's not made much difference as I haven't run any long toolpaths since, and it's sadly not corrected the issue!
    Cheers for any thoughts, it's been a stressful day!
    MarkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170823_161424.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	22665
    Last edited by mark84; 23-08-2017 at 04:35 PM.

OK Mark Have you tried shorting the FOR (green/yellow wire) and the DCM (black wire) terminals together.

Remove them from the terminal block and link the two terminals. the motor then should run. That will prove if the relay on the bob is faulty
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    OK Mark Have you tried shorting the FOR (green/yellow wire) and the DCM (black wire) terminals together.

Remove them from the terminal block and link the two terminals. the motor then should run. That will prove if the relay on the bob is faulty
    Clive, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I tried what you said, the vfd tried to accelerate up presumably too fast and makes the distinct click of a circuit breaker or similar, presumably because it misses the speed, however, as I power it down and a second click is heard as the vfd releases the spindle very briefly spins. I'm not sure where to go from here.
    Thanks again for the reply Clive, it's much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
    Clive, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I tried what you said, the vfd tried to accelerate up presumably too fast and makes the distinct click of a circuit breaker or similar, presumably because it misses the speed, however, as I power it down and a second click is heard as the vfd releases the spindle very briefly spins. I'm not sure where to go from here.
    Thanks again for the reply Clive, it's much appreciated
    So if I understand what you are saying. With the FOR and DCM (without the original wires connected) the spindle powered up, If then you remove the link the spindle should stop. If that is the case then check the original cables from the FOR and DCM back to the BOB and makes sure the connections are secure. A picture of the bob might help
    ..Clive

So if I understand what you are saying. With the FOR and DCM (without the original wires connected) the spindle powered up, If then you remove the link the spindle should stop. If that is the case then check the original cables from the FOR and DCM back to the BOB and makes sure the connections are secure. A picture of the bob might help
    Hi Clive,
    I can't actually locate the breakout board, I've taken a pic of the whole cabinet, if you could spot it that'd be great!! Sorry about the bother. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170824_075825.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	22671
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1503558207176-1496355209.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	22670  
    Last edited by mark84; 24-08-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Ok I think that the two cables that go to the vfd that control the spindle stop/start are the one's that I have put a red ring around.

Make a note of which terminals they are connected to. Then disconnect them and check them for continuity to the vfd FOR/DCM if necessary remake the connections.

I have never used that controller but I can see Dean's influence in there .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmsio box.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	477.6 KB 
ID:	22672
    ..Clive

Ok I think that the two cables that go to the vfd that control the spindle stop/start are the one's that I have put a red ring around.

Make a note of which terminals they are connected to. Then disconnect them and check them for continuity to the vfd FOR/DCM if necessary remake the connections.

I have never used that controller but I can see Dean's influence in there .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmsio box.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	477.6 KB 
ID:	22672

Thanks Clive, i'll check it out when I'm home later :D Your help is very appreciated.
    Any idea why Dean isn't around by the way, I notice his account hasn't been used in months? Hopefully he is well.

I couldn't find any issues with the wiring, though I've taken the connections out and cleaned them before tightening up again, and it's working, I'm unsure if that's just coincidental but at least it's ok for now.
    If the problem keeps happening could I move the connection to the next port across?
    Thanks for your help Clive :)

Quote Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
    I couldn't find any issues with the wiring, though I've taken the connections out and cleaned them before tightening up again, and it's working, I'm unsure if that's just coincidental but at least it's ok for now.
    If the problem keeps happening could I move the connection to the next port across?
    Thanks for your help Clive :)
    Mark Not sure what you mean by "next port across" if you mean the next terminal I would have to look into the manual as I am not familiar with he CS labs board. Let us know if it has been cured after a few hour of use.
    ..Clive

Clive
    I've just read post #3 and to me it does not sound like joining FOR and DCM is running the spindle all the time. Have a read and see if you agree.

Mark,
    When you connected FOR and DCM the spindle briefly accelerated then cut out. It remained stationary until you disconnected FOR and DCM at which point nothing happened until the electronics had 'spooled down' to a low rpm at which point the spindle burst into life and tracked the speed down to zero. As if there is a dead spot above a very low rpm at which the spindle will not turn. Is this what you observed?

If I got this wrong please carry on. If not suggests VFD is faulty or has wrong settings?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information