. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi Mikey,

Nice vid - running very nicely..!

Right - regarding the switches, firstly you must understand that I'm an electronics dunce, the little I do manage to learn tends to get overwritten fairly rapidly :(

I'll be setting up my switches on this machine in a largely similar way to how I've done 'em on my mini-mill - the big difference will be in the type of switch - I'll be using three of these (NPN):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263081103449

...instead of the small red switches - which are great, but fairly fragile...

Each switch, as you know, has three wires, LN and sensing(?) which sends the triggered signal.

Here's what happens in my set-up.

The wires from all switches run back to this black box:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RJ45.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	22967

...where they connect to an RJ45 BOB - all L's go to 1, N's go to 2 and sensing goes to 4.

Back inside my main control box there's another one of these RJ45 boards where I've connected a 12VDC supply (don't use a 5V - I understand that the lower voltages are more susceptible to crosstalk/errors) to pins 1 & 2 whilst pin 4 connects to one of the limit switch points on the main BOB. My Linux CNC .ini file is configured to look for a home/limit trigger from just one pin - there's a reason I did it this way, but I can't for the life of me think why, maybe I was just being lazy, which is more than likely... In practical terms what this means is that my axis can't home simultaneously - Z goes first, then X then Y - in all honesty you probably want Z up and out of the way during a homing routine anyway... It also means that if you hit a limit on one axis you'll get three joint errors - it's not the tidiest of set-ups but it certainly works..!

Not sure how helpful my rambling is to you - maybe your issue is more software related - like Clive says, asking on your thread may get you more relevant answers!

All the best.

Wal.

I like the idea of the internal cable chains... neat way to do it.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    I like the idea of the internal cable chains... neat way to do it.
    I merely followed the ways of Clive and Dean...

The only potential drawback I see, is if I use a hugely over-length bolt for fixturing - anything that protrudes 12mm or so below the left underside of the bed could potentially foul the chain.

Hopefully there'll be none of that nonsense...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information