. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    What height did you want to achieve from your Z-axis?

I personally think that a PM2278 driver would be a bit of an overkill for the Z-axis if you're using a NEMA23 for the stepper.

2. Roughly 7-8" the drive for the Z axis would remain the same as i have now! so looks like ill be selling 3 NEMA 23 425 oz-in steppers with 3 KL-4030 Drives rated at 3A if anyones intrested! Brand new!

Another thought was i could even go for a single NEMA 42 for the X axis and drive both of the ballscrews with a belt coupled together! what are your thoughts on this guys? the NEMA42 is rated at 2830 oz-in and can work at a max of 210v do you think this would work. ( im just trying save money as funds are abit low at the moment )
    Last edited by AdCNC; 17-08-2009 at 05:09 PM.

3. Yes the Z axis does not need to be as big, and the motor you currently have would most likely be ok, as you have it allready use it to see if you can get what you need, if not, then upgrade it.
    does the Z need to be as quick? if not you could most likely get away with a 1605 ball screw.

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post
    ok, so if i get my self 3x PM2278 Drivers 2x 1810 oz-in NEMA 34 steppers for the X axis and 1x for the Y and use the NEMA23 for say the Z for the time being i should be able so work at a half decent pace and it will get the 6x4 table in motion? ive got no chance of going for servos at this stage!

4. hi gary, no the z can plod along at a nice steady speed really! its the x and y thats the main concern!

5. taking into consideration that the belt coupling could be 1:1 effectively each ballsecrew would see 1415 oz-in of torque thats not taking into consideration drive losses! thats if i used a monster 2830 oz-in stepper!

6. So are you going to use one motor for the X and two ball screws?
    This can work well, but you need to take note that if the belt is quite long it can get a bit springy and you will see a bit of hysteresis.
    I would personally use two motors and drivers.
    A belt system can mean a loss of 10%.

taking into consideration that the belt coupling could be 1:1 effectively each ballsecrew would see 1415 oz-in of torque thats not taking into consideration drive losses! thats if i used a monster 2830 oz-in stepper!

7. Those motors have very high inertia and high inductance, so they dont spin as fast as the 34's, also the PM2278 goes up to 220V, so you will need to get a transforma regardless because it is not advised to put 230V single phase straight in.

Roughly 7-8" the drive for the Z axis would remain the same as i have now! so looks like ill be selling 3 NEMA 23 425 oz-in steppers with 3 KL-4030 Drives rated at 3A if anyones intrested! Brand new!

Another thought was i could even go for a single NEMA 42 for the X axis and drive both of the ballscrews with a belt coupled together! what are your thoughts on this guys? the NEMA42 is rated at 2830 oz-in and can work at a max of 210v do you think this would work. ( im just trying save money as funds are abit low at the moment )

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Another Idea. :whistling: Have you thought about fixing the ballscrew and spinning the ballnut instead?

You would reduce the amount of torque needed as the mass is reduced. I have one like this that I got from ebay.

Finally why do you need so much speed? Unless it has to return home after along cut, wont you be limited by the cutting speed anyway?

9. I have seen this done before, but this normally involves more money and because the motor/gearing that is associated to this type is moving with the ball nut, the moving mass is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Another Idea. :whistling: Have you thought about fixing the ballscrew and spinning the ballnut instead?

You would reduce the amount of torque needed as the mass is reduced. I have one like this that I got from ebay.

Finally why do you need so much speed? Unless it has to return home after along cut, wont you be limited by the cutting speed anyway?

10. options options options, think im going be scratching my head till ive build my machine and ready for the motion! and thats not to far away!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information