. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Ive just picked up an old (ish) Conect 121 cnc lathe. Looks to be in good condition and No excessive wear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170906_213156.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	22752

I plan to replace the stepper drives as others have done but Id like to use the original spindle drive and stepper drive to test it and get it up and running. I cant seem to find much information so if any one has a wiring diagram or knows the points to connect Id be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Myford ML10 based I believe, - check out http://www.lathes.co.uk/ml10/

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks Nick, yes the base lathe is the ML10 but the electronics are Conect and there isn't much info about.

Ive seen reference to 10v control and an enable line for the spindle but not sure if I can run if direct off a BOB, or which wires they are.

My benchtop CNC mill was the same brand, most of the original electronics had already been replaced when I got it, I replaced what remained but I've never been able to find much info on Conect equipment beyond that the mill was probably based on a Rishton milling machine.

You should be able to identify the control signals with a meter and work out where to insert signals and at what voltages,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    From what I remember, you can trace the step/dir control pins back to the original controller chip.

However, they are 80s technology, and I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Even a couple of the TB6600 drives should give an improvement in performance, and they can be had for less than £10 each. Combine those with a cheap BOB, and you've got all the major components covered.
    The only thing is you'd need to ensure the 0-10V for the spindle speed is isolated, or upgrade the spindle drive to something that doesn't need an isolated speed control.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

You should be able to identify the control signals with a meter and work out where to insert signals and at what voltages,
    nothing works so I cant trace the signals.

The only thing is you'd need to ensure the 0-10V for the spindle speed is isolated, or upgrade the spindle drive to something that doesn't need an isolated speed control.
    So if if i power the BOB from the 5v of the conect board will that not work?

Yes I will replace the stepper drivers but I would like to use the DC spindle motor?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    nothing works so I cant trace the signals.
    As long as you can get the part number of the stepper chips, and find a datasheet, just trace the PCB tracks. Or there will only be 2 tracks that go to dedicated pins on the controller chip from each stepper chip, which leaves only two options as to what is the step and dir.
    So if if i power the BOB from the 5v of the conect board will that not work?

Yes I will replace the stepper drivers but I would like to use the DC spindle motor?
    You really need to find out what the spindle drive is. Mine was a SCR style drive (very common for DC motors), which means the speed control terminals are at near mains voltage. Connect them to anything other than an isolated 0-10V, and something will be releasing magic smoke.

You really need to find out what the spindle drive is. Mine was a SCR style drive (very common for DC motors), which means the speed control terminals are at near mains voltage. Connect them to anything other than an isolated 0-10V, and something will be releasing magic smoke.
    Dam, I have no idea what drive it is. The machine is from 1986 and has the Lander control board. it does look like the input is 240v and there is a transformer before the motor.

Post up some photos.
    It won't be a transformer, it'll be a choke.

I know mine came with a Cheetah drive, but I had to replace it with a KBIC, as the Cheetah was blowing fuses.

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. bit of googling and it is an SCR drive and its a Neco one. Ive found the 3 control wires but not sure if the enable will be ground, +5v or +10v

Will I damage it trying different combinations?

Ultimately I think i Will have to replace the motor and drive but it would be good to get it running to make sure the lathe can manage what I want to do with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle board.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	22765

Tracing back the spindle control side of the main controller it seems to be fed from a dedicated 20v Dc circuit.
    Last edited by Ross77; 09-09-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added photo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information