. .
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all.

Looking for guides on anodizing aluminum. I have seen a few online but looking for recommendations on ones other people have followed.
    I don't really have time to experiment too much with this so rather just find a good guide and go from there instead of messing around.

Thanks
    Jack,

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/LCD.pdf

pretty much all you need to know... easiest method for the DIYer i believe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Caswell guide is probably the best one that's easily available.

The other guide if you can track down a copy, was the guide by Ron Newman. He used to have a section of his website dedicated to it, and supplied the stuff on the other side of the pond, but he stopped selling anodising stuff, and stopped selling his guide as well, so he could concentrate on his telescope parts.
    I do have a PDF file which is just a screen grab from his website page covering anodising, which has a few hints/tips. If you want a copy, PM me your email and I'll send a copy across.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

m-c, is this the Ron Newman guide that refer to? www.uponone.com/howtos/1.pdf

Nick.

Edit:- This looks like the information off his website, rather than the guide.
    Last edited by Nick952; 20-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick952 For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Nick, that is similar to what I've already got, albeit cleaned up a bit, and the equipment sales bits removed.

I don't think Ron ever sold the guide digitally, as any reference I did find, was to a paper manual.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the info guys!

Don't know if I replied to the email or not, but thanks for the PDF!

Finally get to start reading it tonight.

As for power supply. I already had the DPS5015 though never go around to building the whole thing with PSU. So grabbed a 48V 10A 480W cheapo from eBay and that should arrive next week.
    I have had pretty good luck with these supplies so far. Have about five 12-24v ones but no 32-48v ones.

What are you guys using for heating the baths?
    And what material should the containers be? PP should be alright?

Thanks

[edit]
    https://imgur.com/a/1kwXy
    This guy does not use heat for the dye, I am guessing the heat helps?
    Last edited by JOGARA; 27-09-2017 at 03:31 PM.

I've never got as far as setting up an anodising line, as I'm struggling for space, and never did find out the legalities of disposing of the waste.

When I looked into it, I was going to just buy one of the Caswell kits so I knew everything would work, however I see they only offer the one kit now, and is quite a bit more expensive than what I remember.

You don't need to heat the acid bath really, in fact in general the colder it is the better the result.

I often see other stages using an aquarium heater or other similar submersible heating element. This would certainly get things warmed up quickly enough!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26138...6331929&crdt=0

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    You don't need to heat the acid bath really, in fact in general the colder it is the better the result.

I often see other stages using an aquarium heater or other similar submersible heating element. This would certainly get things warmed up quickly enough!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26138...6331929&crdt=0

From what I read you don't want the acid hot at all. Both the etch and/or the anodizing tanks should be room temp as those processes get hot when reacting/putting amps though them.
    The Desmut, Colour and Seal should be heated though...

Going off the Ron Newman guide that m_c sent be lists this;
    1. Polish part using fine sand paper for shiny finish, or wire wool for matte (can also etch for a little longer for matte finish/hide imperfections)
    2. Cleaner @ 140F 5 mins
    3. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    4. Etch in Lye for 10-30 seconds @ room temp
    5. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    6. Desmut @ room temp 1-3mins
    7. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    8. Anodize at room temp based off 720 rule
    9. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    10. Dye @ 140F for 15s-15m
    11. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    12. Seal @ 180F
    13. Rinse (de-ionized water)
    14. Hang to dry for 24 hours

Other guides I have seen do mostly the same procedure, though one suggested using "Sodium Bisulfate/Sodium Hydrogen Sulfate" instead of Sulfuric which I guess is safer?

As for heating the buckets, I like the one you linked, but I am limited on power in my current workshop. Wont be in my new one till end of November.
    Pretty much can't draw more than 3000w in total.

Thinking of getting a couple 12v ones that I can then use one of these cheap controller boxes with. Safer too as those immersion ones don't always have earth on the metal case.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172822446...r=471604592191 (This is 220v ones yes, they do 12v too)
    Last edited by JOGARA; 01-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information