. .
    im looking of some sort of pendant/hand wheel to work with my ip-m and mach3 that im running, the cs labs one is crazy expensive! can I just plug one of the £60 ebay jobs in with a usb to my pc and it work or is it more complicated than that?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    im looking of some sort of pendant/hand wheel to work with my ip-m and mach3 that im running, the cs labs one is crazy expensive! can I just plug one of the £60 ebay jobs in with a usb to my pc and it work or is it more complicated than that?
    Yes, you can. Ive got one that I am doing and have done one before.

As long as it has the correct A and B pulses it will work, refer to the CS Labs MPG module (you need the module) manual.

Otherwise you can use one of the Mach 3 PC ones that dont work directly into the controller however they are not as good (but might suffice for what you need).

thanks for the reply, I think the main function I really need is just to be able to jog the machine to set to set the work coordinate as I cant reach the computer from the machine. what would you recommend then? any one in particular ?
    Last edited by charlieuk; 22-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    thanks for the reply, I think the main function I really need is just to be able to jog the machine to set to set the work coordinate as I cant reach the computer from the machine. what would you recommend then? any one in particular ?
    I dont know all the 'cheaper' options. Up to you, there are some wireless ones and some that work via USB. Of course, if you need to set offsets and zeroing, you normally do this via the screen / keyboard anyways - perhaps move the PC / setup?

Its just the jogging really im happy to go back to the pc to do the rest, The pc its as close as I can get it but unfortunately just out of arms reach when looking up close, Its quite a large machine. If its likely to work I guess ill just take a punt on one of the wired usb ones. Im still trying to figure out setting up a z zero probe thing.

many thanks for the advice

Its just the jogging really im happy to go back to the pc to do the rest, The pc its as close as I can get it but unfortunately just out of arms reach when looking up close, Its quite a large machine. If its likely to work I guess ill just take a punt on one of the wired usb ones. Im still trying to figure out setting up a z zero probe thing.

many thanks for the advice
    I recently bought Ger's 2010 screenset. Its only a few 10s of dollars. Get that and use it, makes probing easier and it comes with a dedicated set of screens for probing etc.

If you are around the West London area I can show you how I use it on my current machine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Im rather nervous with anything electronic or computer related as I only have very limited knowledge and its all a bit black magic to me so a little un easy about changing anything if its working ok as is, but I have just had a look at it and maybe one day I will. im still learning the very basics of machining, I just cut a part with a few tool changes but im changing the tool by hand and then sending it to zero and adjusting the z height by just adjusting to tool in the collet which is not great. Im only down near Brighton so not a million miles away , I could really do will learning a lot more!

Im rather nervous with anything electronic or computer related as I only have very limited knowledge and its all a bit black magic to me so a little un easy about changing anything if its working ok as is, but I have just had a look at it and maybe one day I will. im still learning the very basics of machining, I just cut a part with a few tool changes but im changing the tool by hand and then sending it to zero and adjusting the z height by just adjusting to tool in the collet which is not great. Im only down near Brighton so not a million miles away , I could really do will learning a lot more!
    You are welcome to pop in (UB108TE) and I can show you what I do. Its not perfect but I believe it will probably give you good info to consider / work with.

Thread Information