. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Im after a few ideas as its come up recently on another project that zeeflyboy very kindly helped me with but now its come up again.

I am trying to make this part not necessarily all on a cnc but however possible and that will be the easiest and cheapest way for a bit of a test.

basically the bit im stuck on is I want to put a 8mm radius on the edges of a bit of 25mm aluminum stock.

im not sure if my current cnc is going to be up for cutting ali but I could give it a try I guess.

What are my best options/methods?

many thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Capture.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	22960

If you want 8mm radii and that sharp step in size as in the image you can only do this as a 4 Axis milling job, CNC or Manual.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Radius cutter, however 8mm may be a bit big for anything but a reasonable size machine with a relatively slow spindle.
    I've just checked the first cutter I found (arc euro trade), and an 8mm radius cutter is 24mm OD, with 8mm centre, and a 16mm shank, so a failry substantial machine would be needed.

Removing the bulk of material using a normal endmill and several passes would mean minimal cutting for a final finishing cutting pass.

Other option would depend on how good a radius you want. You could probably get a reasonably OK finish using a ball end mill and multiple passes.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

But how do you transition from one size to the other with a radius cutter?
    I suppose you could clean the transition up with a file?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    But how do you transition from one size to the other with a radius cutter?
    I suppose you could clean the transition up with a file?
    He only asked about the radius edges, not the stepped bit ;-)

It all depends on the quality of finish required.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

cool wasn't aware you could get something like that for metal, I was searching for round over bits but only found wood type ones. I may be able to put that in my x2 mini mill just. I can get away with not having the step for the prototype . I guess the best way to get that would be on a 4 axis machine, if anyone thinks they can cnc this if its not going to cost a fortune just drop me a pm

many thanks

Thread Information