. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All
    I am trying to locate a wiring diagram for a DENFORD EASIMILL if anyone can help. I am replacing the original controls and would like to use the original stops etc.
    Many thanks, Greg.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Have you looked on the Denford forum?
    http://denfordata.com/bb/
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thank you, no I haven't I will take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by GREG021 View Post
    Thank you, no I haven't I will take a look.
    The Easimill drawings are definitely on the website, i saw them when looking at the Easiturn 3 drawings. A wise move to scrap the controller. You could reuse the stepper motors (i think the drivers are analogue which will not work with digital controllers) but the hybrid steppers/ driver combinations are so cheap it is not worth the bother. Have a look at Dean's (jazz) controller, they are about £600.

Hi Colin

Yes, I plan to use the original motors also the mill came with a Gecko G540 controller.
    There is a problem apparently, but after looking at the standard of the wiring I am not surprised.
    First, I will rewire with the present controls and see what happens but would like to use the stops eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GREG021 View Post
    Hi Colin

Yes, I plan to use the original motors also the mill came with a Gecko G540 controller.
    There is a problem apparently, but after looking at the standard of the wiring I am not surprised.
    First, I will rewire with the present controls and see what happens but would like to use the stops eventually.
    Hi Greg,
    I was tempted to bid on that machine but i don't have the room at the moment. Does it have the original drivers? There is plenty of info on the drives and motors but if they break they are expensive. If the motors are nema 34 they may be the same as on the easimill3. I got a quote for replacement drive/motors which were $99 each plus tax and delivery. Delivery was the killer $125.
    Model Name of commodity and
    Description
    Product Picture
    Quantity
    (set)
    Unit
    Price
    (USD)
    Shenzhen
    Amount (USD)
    86BYGH4118EC-1000 Closed loop stepper motor
    ,NEMA 34,8.5NM
    2 off
    99.00 198.00
    2HSS86 Closed loop stepper driver and
    3 meter encoder cables
    2 off
    Shipping cost form shenzhen to UK 125.00 125.00
    Total: $323.0
    My controller was not working and had been standing for years so i pulled it apart. I think all new is much easier because other people on forums and youtube post their experience.

Hi Colin

The machine came with a control problem but the motors are the original Denford.
    The drives are a Gecko G540 which will be great if it is okay.
    The power supply is to lower-rated and the VFD appears to be okay.
    I will re-wire and see where we are.
    It was a tight fit in my garage which is shares with my classic TVR Griff.
    Greg

Hi Greg,
    Your mill is about 40 years old, i changed the drive motor bearings in my easiturn3 £50, the other bearings (i found Buck and Hickman cheapest) are metric and cheap as chips. Lube the ballscrews, they will be dry and the lubricator or pipework may not work. I read where the spindle drive was not so reliable and expensive to fix, so if it works it works if not stick it in the bin. It also takes up quite a bit of space and i prefer high voltages covered up. I saw an Easitun 3 nearby for sale a while ago and should have bought it but i was looking at Bridgeports at the time.
    Colin

Hi Colin
    I was going to re-wire and get it running first, after that I replace anything suspect.
    Thanks for the lubricator suggestion I will have a good look it but give all moving parts a good oiling first.
    What is the consensus regarding spindle replacement if it is worn or noisy?

Greg

The drawings are available from the Denford website, my Easiturn 3 workhead spindle had 2 ball bearings one was imperial (£40) and the other metric (£16). The grease in the old ones did not look in good condition after 36 years. A good start would be to print out and file the available manuals and parts lists.

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Easimill_maintenance.pdf
    Last edited by Colin Barron; 19-01-2021 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added detail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information