. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I'm using Win 10 64 Bit for both my Lathe and Thor mill. Is this a breakoutboard limitation or something else? Im using CS Labs on Thor and Pokeys on the lathe.
    I should of maybe been a bit clearer, but that was in relation to using the parallel port. If you're not using the parallel port, then there is no restriction on what version of windows you can use, other it being new enough to support what software you're using.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I should of maybe been a bit clearer, but that was in relation to using the parallel port. If you're not using the parallel port, then there is no restriction on what version of windows you can use, other it being new enough to support what software you're using.
    Ah ok, wasnt sure either. Thanks.

I am just upgrading my Triac - started as a spindle bearing change and fix an oil leak ....... now it seems to be a full rebuild.

Actually my 3rd upgrade, first was a direct piggyback with mach 3 onto the original stepper system. Then I lost a stepper driver so decided to upgrade the drivers. Latest upgrade is some bearing changes, new spindle VFD, new stepper motors, move lube pump, redirect cables out of the back to seal the base etc.

I've run with the old steppers for 8 years and they have been fine. Only really changing as I've taken the column off to work on the lube system and it's too good an opportunity to not mess around;) If you do change motors, watch out for shaft sizes as the Triac steppers have tiny shafts, as soon as you get into decent sized motors, you will find the pulleys are too small to be bored out and you will have to put bigger pulleys, new belts etc on, which in turn reduces the torque increase benefit!

Many thanks for the replies everyone, great information here that's been a big help. I'll have a go at using the original steppers and using some decent drivers. Still have some homework to do on that regard.

Going the BoB route without the csmio will make things a bit cheaper too which is great.

One question: would using a UCS100 with its USB to Parallel connection mean I could use a 64 bit OS?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matabele View Post
    One question: would using a UCS100 with its USB to Parallel connection mean I could use a 64 bit OS?
    According to the manual, yes.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Excellent, thanks for your help m_c

I know this is an old thread but rather than start I new one thought I would ask here.

I have had an old triac lying about for quite a long time & never got round to rebuilding it, had a very small workshop & it got pushed into a corner & just stayed there lol
    I am now looking at trying to do something with it & was wondering if the "Sprint 1220i controllers" were still the way to go or if maybe there was something else that may be better now.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Two options, keep the DC motor and that controller or put a servo on the spindle. I did the both, the servo is quieter and can do more stuff (rigid tapping etc) but depends on what control system you use as well as getting it to work can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Two options, keep the DC motor and that controller or put a servo on the spindle. I did the both, the servo is quieter and can do more stuff (rigid tapping etc) but depends on what control system you use as well as getting it to work can be tricky.
    Thanks for replying, If I don't keep it simple then it will never get done, I find learning new things quite difficult these days, years ago it was no problem lol
    So will be keeping the original as I really just need to get it running & working, when you say keep the DC motor & that controller I take it you mean the sprint 1220i.
    Originally I thought I might be able to use the original card from the control box but read that isn't a good idea.

Sorry, for clarity.

Option A, use the Sprint drive, with the existing DC motor, controlled by the original controller.
    Option B, use the Sprint drive, with the existing DC motor, controlled by a new controller.
    Option C, replace the DC system with a spindle servo and different drive / controller.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information