. .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Given the "hackfest" nature of this build, I went ahead and ordered this for the twin-screw axis:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Ship-1ax...72.m2749.l2649

Says 1090 in-oz. (I get 7.7 Nm) and 4.1mH inductance. My intention is to mount it underneath and between the 2 ballscrews and come up with a timing belt arrangement to drive both from one motor. If I can get the Y-axis moving under power, it will give me encouragement to drive forward.

Thanks,
    Wallace

Not as easy as I thought to find timing belt pulleys and belts. What width belt would I need to drive this? I see XL, L, HTD, etc. - what do you guys typically use?

Thanks,
    Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    Not as easy as I thought to find timing belt pulleys and belts. What width belt would I need to drive this? I see XL, L, HTD, etc. - what do you guys typically use?

Thanks,
    Wallace
    I use HTD belt and pulleys
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Htd is supposed to have much lower backlash then the other profiles (backlash free?)
    Go with 5mm pitch.. seems a popular choice. I got 3mm pitch delivered and Im hoping thats fine.
    15mm width belt is a good choice.
    Saw a spreadsheet that demonstrated that 10mm width is fine for routers but it seemed close so I chose 15mm :)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Well, I find a ton of them on eBay - of course they are all from China and seller is away until 02/20. Oh well, I guess our friends in Asia need time off too :)

I am just looking for 1:1 I think. I just want to drive both screws from one motor. Given that I was going to pick 3 20 tooth pulleys and 2 idlers. Any reason to use more or less teeth?

Thanks,
    Wallace

Thanks guys. Well, I find a ton of them on eBay - of course they are all from China and seller is away until 02/20. Oh well, I guess our friends in Asia need time off too :)

I am just looking for 1:1 I think. I just want to drive both screws from one motor. Given that I was going to pick 3 20 tooth pulleys and 2 idlers. Any reason to use more or less teeth?

Thanks,
    Wallace
    How about belting online? I think they are uk based?

20tooth pulleys are generally recommended here.
    Good size to strength to tooth engagement.
    Larger pulleys have higher inertia
    Smaller pulleys have smaller boss for setscrews

Well, here is what I ended up with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7315.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	23895

Name:	IMG_5019.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	23894

Sorry the 2nd pic is rotated (again) - but I think I figured it out now that I have one that is and one that isn't...

Anyway, I am thinking of an adjustable tensioner. Seems like a long span there on top - you guys think that'll be a problem? I really have no experience with timing belts like this.

Thanks,
    Wallace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyblackburn For This Useful Post:

Well, here is what I ended up with:

Name:	IMG_7315.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	23895

Name:	IMG_5019.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	23894

Sorry the 2nd pic is rotated (again) - but I think I figured it out now that I have one that is and one that isn't...

Anyway, I am thinking of an adjustable tensioner. Seems like a long span there on top - you guys think that'll be a problem? I really have no experience with timing belts like this.

Thanks,
    Wallace
    Hey Wally!

I have no experience with such long belts, but I can imagine that the top part will flap if going fast?
    A tensioner on top might be a good stabilizer ;)

More importantly is that a Mustang in the rear of the photo? Camaro and Firebird man myself but could slum it with a mustang whilst I wait for a 67SS to drop from the sky or a 77 Trans Am ;)

The commercial printers we scrap always have tensioners on and the belt lengths are measured in inches (Short), if you can get tensioners easily enough than I'd fit them. They're sprung to apply constant tension and are adjustable.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    More importantly is that a Mustang in the rear of the photo? Camaro and Firebird man myself but could slum it with a mustang whilst I wait for a 67SS to drop from the sky or a 77 Trans Am ;)
    It is actually a '65 T-Bird. I went to an auction with the intention of buying a '63 Impala SS, and somehow came home with that over-engineered POS. Auction fever, I guess!

I think I will try to fab up a tensioner for the top span.

Regards,
    Wallace

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information