. .
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I use those litle 4-way connectors for signal connections (limit switches, etc) - they are fiddly to wire, aren't they?

For stepper connections, I personally use 4-way XLR latching connectors, which are a bit chunkier to handle! Not sure what other people use but XLR are readily available and not too expensive compared to some of the more exotic connector types.

A little more modern to boot. I just took another look at the spindle connector - it is actually a larger version of the 4-pin mike connector. Doesn't look too bad to solder to and seems a bit heftier.

Decided to affix the spindle to my surface plate and check it out while I was messing with it. The inner contact surface of the spindle is nuts on - I get under a tenth of runout - very nice! The included collet, not so much. More than 2 thou (once the needle on my tenths indicator starts moving that much, I don't bother to get an exact measurement). Probably worrying too much for a primarily wood machine, but that collet goes in the trash. I'll order a Lyndex or Royal...

This is getting fun!
    Wallace

First cut! The requisite circle :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8504.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	24051

Still so much to do, but that is definitely encouraging!

Regards,
    Wallace
    Last edited by wallyblackburn; 11-04-2018 at 04:49 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyblackburn For This Useful Post:

Wally!
    Good work and well done :D

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

More test cuts. Doing calibration.

Thanks,
    Wallace

Nice, looking good.

Is that a Fusion tool path??

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Nice, looking good.

Is that a Fusion tool path??
    It is. I have to say, of all the hurdles so far Fusion 360 has been the biggest. But, I am finally starting to get the hang of it.

Makes sense, I suppose. I have lots of experience with building stuff and electronics. But, CAD is new to me.

Thanks,
    Wallace

Its a steep curve but once you get over the top, the fun really starts - there is great satisfaction in designing a part in 3D then converting to tool paths and watching your machine turn it out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Its a steep curve but once you get over the top, the fun really starts - there is great satisfaction in designing a part in 3D then converting to tool paths and watching your machine turn it out. :)
    Yes it is!!! I made a dust shoe top! Getting ready to try the bottom here in a few.

Thanks,
    Wallace

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wallyblackburn For This Useful Post:

Well, I'm at the point of cutting real stuff:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8719.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	24202

And - of course - thinking about what I want to do to make this one better AND what I'll be doing for the next one! :)

I am leaning towards a 4x8+ made out of extrusions. Wood-only, so I think extrusions will be fast and adequate. Want to be able to put a whole sheet of plywood on at once. But, just thinking/dreaming at this point.

For this one, I am planning the following:

- 1/2" steel table with a 3/8"-16 hole pattern for bolting down MDF wasteboard, Aluminum pieces, etc.
    - 3 or 4:1 belt drive on X- and Y-axis. The X and Z are direct connected. The Y is belt, but 1:1
    - More rigid gantry with 1/4" steel end plates and 2040 Rexroth crossbars. With a slanted design to allow more real estate to be accessible
    - Maybe filling some of the frame members with something - mortar maybe? Sand?

Thanks to all for the advice gotten here,
    Wallace

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information