. .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    No, it was also proper hell also! I'll use packing tape backwards next time as Clive and others suggest...
    I was not aware of this requirement.

Never had thought of this simple solution myself.

I will use cheap packing tape for my pour.

thx guys.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Got the rails and ballscrews for Y-Axis from Fred at BST. Got epoxy cleaned up and mounted first rail. Tried to rough-align second rail using some equal length bars between them and could not get them lined up. Took one off and put it on my surface plate. Nice and flat on top and bottom, but crooked as a politician in the horizontal plane. Getting 12 thou out towards ends.

Thinking this is to be expected when you pay $282US for 2 rails, 4 trucks, and 2 ballscrew assemblies. Anyway, guessing some others have dealt with this? What did you do?

I'm thinking of tightening down in middle, and then working my way out trying to pull the rail to a straightedge and cinch it down. Maybe make a saddle kind of jig that will give me a screw to adjust the rail before tightening it down. Sounds dodgy.

Thoughts?
    Wallace

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Wally
    Nice work with the pour, i explained this a while back but have not been able to find the thread it was on, but you are correct, fix the centre of the rail first then work your way outwards setting your rail to your straight edge, clamping the rail, drilling and tapping and then securing as you go.
    Regards
    Mike

Allow me to retract at least most of my last entry and apologize to our Asian friends. Oh...and admit to being a dope that goes off half-cocked...

I was looking at the edge along the base near the mounting surface - which is not really a reference surface, I don't believe. In checking the side of the rail where the balls ride, I get less than a thou over any 6-8 inches. At this point, I am just going to start on the gantry mounting and check it at different points as I go.

Regards,
    Wallace

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    I think you will find some marking on the rail depicting the master/reference edge, once you have that set to your straight edge it would probably be better to use your gantry to align the second rail.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    At this point, I am just going to start on the gantry mounting and check it at different points as I go.

Regards,
    Wallace
    This is how I did it.
    First rail as straight as possible then I mounted the gantry and slid it back and forwards as I was drilling.
    Then I took it off and tapped all holes.
    Then remounted for tightening the screws and worked as close to the gantry as possible :)

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    This is how I did it.
    First rail as straight as possible then I mounted the gantry and slid it back and forwards as I was drilling.
    Then I took it off and tapped all holes.
    Then remounted for tightening the screws and worked as close to the gantry as possible :)
    I have a feeling that that is also suggested in the Hiwin manual. Certainly worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I have a feeling that that is also suggested in the Hiwin manual. Certainly worked for me!
    Oh! Haven't read that one..
    I have noulei cheapo bearings (no manual) ;)
    I read the mycncuk diy manual. It's quite a read but lots of good pointers.
    And the best part.. it got pictures! :D

I did read the manual but all the warnings about how accurate you need the mountings to be worried me so much that I closed the manual and just carried on anyway!

That sounds sane! Sometimes you just have to check what works hands on..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information