. .
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    What do you guys typically use for steps per revolution on your drivers?

Thanks,
    Wallace
    Step per rev isn't a setting you can pick or choose. It's an absolute calculation that is derived from several factors. The pitch of the ballscrew, Microsteps set on drives and any mechanical ratio.

If your unsure mach3 can do this for you. Go to settings tab and just above Reset you'll see Set Steps per button. Click this and select the axis want to set. It will then ask for distance to move. Enter a value, make it small to start with, then measure how far it actually moved and enter the amount. Mach3 will then calc and set the steps per for you.
    Do this for each axis using a small value to start then repeat and set over a longer distance. Very important you measure accurately.

I think I asked wrong question. From this reply, I think I meant to ask what you typically use for microsteps? On my DM560B clone from Long's, you set dip switched for pulse/rev - that's what I mean. Oh, and I'm not using Mach3 - I'm using Centroid Acorn.

I have it at 400 and empirically determined a setting (turns/in. I think it was) in the Acorn config wizard to get 0.100" movement for 0.100" called for (oh yeah, I'm using Imperial measurements too...lol). But, when I ask for 0.100", it will sometimes go to 0.1004" - I assume because of resolution limitations.

<steps away>

So, I just went and set the dip switches on the DM560B to 2000 pulse/rev and updated it in Acorn controller too. I set up a dial indicator and am getting pretty damn good accuracy for an initial setup. After 5 moves of 0.100" my DTI reads about a needles width off - maybe couple tenths. If I go back, it is dead on zero again. AND, now I get a readout on Centroid of 0.1000" for a move instead of 0.1004" or something.

But, what am I sacrificing with the tiny microsteps? I seem to remember you lose torque - but is there a rule of thumb as to what we can get away with? I know it would depend on material and such, I was really wondering what most folks used for microstep.

Long way around there! And also, the irony of a Yank asking Brits about how to get good Imperial movement from metric leadscrews?! You folks put the Empire in Imperial! LOL.

Thanks,
    Wallace

ok makes more sense now. When it comes to MS then speed of controller comes into play because the higher the MS the more pulses are required. So some lesser controllers cannot provide enough pulses to allow high feed rates a router requires. In which case you'd use a lower Ms amount.
    In your case you have more than enough pulses so can afford to go higher on the MS. However going much above 2000 is wasted because steppers cannot resolve to much more than this.
    The main advantage of higher MS is smoother motor action. Yes you'll lose little torque with high MS but not enough to worry about or even notice.

Typical MS for router is 1600 or 2000.
    However the drives/motors and how they are affected by resonance can come into play when selecting MS. Some motor/drives combo's don't perform very well with certain MS settings because of resonance. This is esp true of some Analog drives which I think the Long's DM560B are, they are basicly Leadshine DM copies. So in cases like these you some times have to select different Ms setting to try move out of the resonance range.
    Resonance will and does cripple performance so if you start getting stalling motors or struggle to get good velocity then chances are resonance is affecting the drives/motors.

Digital drives handle resonance much better so are not affected as much, if at all, it's also big reason why they perform so much better than Analog drives.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 12-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks for the info, Jazz. I am fiddling with it. At this point, I have it at 2000. So far, I am at 200 IPM with no apparent problems. Obviously, this is very preliminary, but I'm pretty happy:

Regards,
    Wallace

Got X-Axis moving today!

I have to back off a little and clean up. Shop is a disaster area. Then on to Z!

Has anyone tried the prefab Z-axis units from Fred at BST? I'm getting anxious (and lazy) and that might be a way to speed things along. Something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...47196cadq6FoR8

Regards,
    Wallace

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyblackburn For This Useful Post:

Nicely done :D

How fast are you going in that YouTube vid?

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Nicely done :D

How fast are you going in that YouTube vid?

I think that is 200IPM...

Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    I think that is 200IPM...
    Cool :D

Have not played with my speeds yet. Think mine is set to 2000mm/min. Yours seemed FAST in comparison :)

Working on my control cabinet. Not the neatest ever by far, but latest power up did not release any smoke :).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5685.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	361.0 KB 
ID:	24033

Had to bag these 4-pin microphone connectors. Got the female side hooked up OK, but no way in hell these old eyes and fingers are going to get the wires soldered on those tiny little tabs on the male connector side.

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	24034

For now, I'll just hardwire them. What do you guys use to connect steppers to control side?

Got my spindle and VFD from BST (actually came from Huan Yang directly.

Getting there!
    Wallace
    Last edited by wallyblackburn; 05-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyblackburn For This Useful Post:

Had to bag these 4-pin microphone connectors. Got the female side hooked up OK, but no way in hell these old eyes and fingers are going to get the wires soldered on those tiny little tabs on the male connector side.

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	24034

For now, I'll just hardwire them. What do you guys use to connect steppers to control side?

Wallace[/QUOTE]

Sigh, just looked at the connector for the spindle motor. This old-style microphone connector seems like a really poor choice for power to a 2.2KW motor - anybody tried to replace these?

Thanks,
    Wallace

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information