. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I purchased a very old Makita chop of saw to cut the ali for my last machine but its so old I cant even find replacement blades.

I now need a saw that will cut the 100x100 steel box section for my new machine plus a bunch of other things but not sure what to go for?

what are the abrasive disk type saw's like? accurate enuff to build a machine with?

it would be nice to have one saw that does booth ali and steel but is it better to have two separate ones instead?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    A Bandsaw would probably be more suitable.

Abrasive saws will handle steel, but not aluminium.
    Chop saws will handle aluminium, but unless it's pretty slow and very sturdy, and you buy a suitable carbide wheel, it won't handle steel.

As for accuracy, that come mostly down to the user. Better built machines will make it easier to cut straight, but still need a bit operator thought to make cuts where you need them.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

What about a Rage chop saw
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution...saw-240v/42602

I've got this model and it will cut 100mm steel box section in seconds no problem. Almost no sparks and pretty robust.

It will also cut big chunks of aluminium no problem on the same blade. Highly recommended over abrasive disc types.
    Last edited by routercnc; 14-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I've had the Rage for about 8 years, it's been a real trooper and is on it's second blade.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I have got two smallish Rage saws, one is a hand held circular saw, and the other is a mitre saw, both are flimsy, but have their uses. The mitre saw you have to be careful to bring the blade down vertically, otherwise it deviates and makes an inaccurate cut. I also have an Evolution saw with a 14" blade. This is a damn fine saw, but you have to be very careful about setting it up and it is best used for right-angle cuts only (although you can set it up for any angle up to 45deg). Like Nick I have gone through a couple of blades (funnily enough Tesco was the cheapest for a replacement, a few years ago). My first blade was ruined by someone (not me) bringing the blade down too quickly on 3mm stock and knocking teeth off. Again you have to be gentle when starting a cut as the blade can deviate.

Thanks guys, yes I had a look at a rage in b n q and it was falling apart on the shelf, the evolution looks a little built?. It seams to jump from £200 for the evo to 400 for a Makita, bosh ect. Can you put tct blades on the abrasive saws or do they run at different rpm?

NO, the abrasive saws run at a much higher rpm, up to 4,000 for a 14" disc. The bladed saws run at about 1,300 rpm.
    Last edited by cropwell; 16-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.

are ok thought that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    are ok thought that would be the case.
    I went through the same thought process when I had an abrasive cut-off saw. Problem was solved when the motor burnt out and I bought the Evolution.

I still use the angle grinder for small cuts, I have a very handy light little Bosch which takes 100mm discs (awaiting delivery of 100) that are 1mm thick. They don't last long, but they are cheap and cut faster than the 3mm ones. If you are jigging up for welding, you don't have to be super accurate.
    Last edited by cropwell; 16-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.

I have an evolution rage 255mm sliding mitre saw and it's a champ... it has seen some serious abuse but keeps on trucking.

It's not the most precise piece of engineering ever constructed, but for cutting up stock etc it's more than adequate. I've cut everything from mild steel to stainless steel, aluminium, plastic, wood all using the same general purpose blade and it chomps through it all. I even used it with a diamond disk for cutting paving slabs and stone tiles.

One of the best value tools I think I've ever bought - Constructed most of my man cave using it!
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 16-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information