. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    After trawling through countless online videos and documents to wire up the Huanyang 2.2kw VFD I was finally confident enough to get the wiring correct. Taking the plunge I got all the wires in the order depicted in the many documents.
    Plugged in and switched on. After what appeared to be a lifetime waiting the inverter kicked into life.

My next step was to get the programming out of the way, this also was successful. Pressed run and the spindle started turning.

Now this is where it all went wrong. I wanted to see how fast the spindle was turning and pressed >> button a few times might and various modes were selected. I considered that I had changed the programming somehow since i had, had it running.

My only course of action was to start again. When I had completed the program inputs. I switched the unit back on and "Bang" all the power went off in my workshop and smoke pored from the unit.

Now prior to the spindle working okay and me attempting to fix things via programming I was pressing the Run btn, the spindle behaved strangely to this in that it would sort of chug round a couple of times the unit went into error.

Could the spindle have been at fault, if so how could i test it without an inverter? Is it possible to sick a 13amp plug on it and connect it to an outlet?

Don't want to get another inverter and blow that up due to a faulty spindle.

And all I wanted to do was to see the RPM and my next step would have been how to adjust the speed.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Lodds View Post
    Is it possible to sick a 13amp plug on it and connect it to an outlet?
    NO

I may be wrong - but - I do not see how it is possible to blow up an inverter by parameter setting. (This is an invite to members to point out otherwise)

The first test of your spindle should be with a multimeter before connecting to the VFD. If there are four wires one should (but not necessarily) give earth continuity to the case of the spindle. the other three should give approx the same resistance reading between any two pairs*. These tests are done at the VFD end before connecting the wires.

Shorted wires will cause currents large enough to blow the output gate transistors and give the grand illusion of failure with a large amount of magic smoke.
    Open circuits can give voltages in the output stages of the inverter enough to do the same.

Your inverter may be repairable, but repair costs will be as near to replacement cost as to make it not worthwhile.

DON'T take your inverter to pieces - you will lose any chance of a warranty claim.

*without getting my spindle out of the box - I can't tell you the values
    Last edited by cropwell; 24-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Can you post a drawing showing how you connected everything ?
    Also which parameters did you change and what value did you use ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

To be honest not really sure what I had changed, I was digging a hole that just got deeper. As I said it did work when I first started.

Hopefully the file got attached.

Can't see any files, did you check it was attached before logging out ?
    I didn't mean what did you change at the time of the fault, I meant which parameters did you change from default at the time you got, "the programming out of the way"
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

These are the settings I changed.

General VFD setup:
    Here's the correct settings for the Huanyang VFD that always seems to come with these kits.[/FONT]

PD013 - 8 MASTER RESET <<< DO THIS FIRST [Jonathan Edit: I prefer not to input this reset command, as often they've set a lot of the settings for you, so it saves time to leave it and you'll spot any settings that are wrong when you set the rest, so there's no risk]
    PD005 - 400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	23475
    PD004 - 400
    PD003 - 400
    PD006 - 2.5
    PD007 - 1.20
    PD008 - 220
    PD009 - 15
    PD011 - 120 [Jonathan Edit:*No, this is a common misconception. This setting is the lower frequency limit, so setting it to 120Hz means you can't run the spindle below 7200rpm, which originated from the air cooled spindles which would burn out below this speed. This is not a problem with water cooling, so*you can set it to zero. You wont get much torque below 7200rpm, but down to about 3200rpm is useable for drilling small holes in aluminum if you don't have carbide drills.]
    PD014 - 1 [Jonathan Edit:*This is time to accelerate to rated speed. It may be better not to set it as low as 1 second (e.g. 2) to reduce the starting current, or if you don't appreciate the lights dimming every time you press run.]
    PD015 - 1
    PD072 - 400.00*
    PD143 - 2
    PD142 - 7
    PD144 - 3000, factory setting is 1440 ->3000 gives correct RPM of 24000 at 400hz

Control Settings:
    For spindle Start/Stop using Mach controlled relay connect DCM to FOR with the relay wired between the two. NOTE: Wiring DCM to REV will give reverse spindle rotation.

For variable speed control using a 10k ohm pot connect ACM and 10v to the pot with IV on the Wiper.

PD001 - 0 = Start from VFD Panel(Manual control), 1 = Control from inputs(use if Mach is start/stopping your spindle as explained above)
    PD044 - 2
    PD045 - 3

wiring diagram ? or did you just connect the power in and motor without adding any control wiring ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-12-2017 at 02:30 PM.

240v Inverter

Blue to R
    Brown to S
    Earth to Earth

spindle

Using normal 13amp extension cable

Blue to U
    Brown to V
    Yel/grn to W

A proper diagram is essential, for your own sake too, but it seems you don't have one.
    So just to be clear, you connected the spindle cable cores to UVW at the inverter, and where did you connect the other ends at the spindle itself ?. (I don't have one of these spindles so I'm not sure what terminals are provided) Did you use any of the cores as an earth wire ?

No I never used an earth, the plug has 4 connectors and one of them is left empty (No 4)

My soldering is NOT the best in the world and I'm wondering if there was a short in the plug on the spindle. I didn't see anything when I took it apart could that have caused the damage if it had shorted?
    Last edited by Lodds; 29-12-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information