. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello Guys,

I am after a bit of guidance regarding the tool change location function within MACH 3.

I have configured my Auto Tool Zero and it is running lovely however I am unsure how to set up a certain location where it will go to before it does every tool change?

If someone would be able to help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You need to modify the M6start and M6end macros.

I've not used Mach 3 for a few years, so it'll probably be better searching over on the mach forums.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    The gcode you need is G28. This takes the machine to s predefined position, which could be your tool change position. You set the position (using machine coordinates) in one of the Mach3 configuration screens, although I can't remember which one off the top of my head. As m_c says, you can then incorporate this code into your M6start macro so that as part of the tool change operation, the machine will go to the tool change position. On my machine, I also have a fixed touch plate set into the bed at this point so I can do a "second operation" tool height setting without having to jog the tool again. When you hit "run" the M6end macro is called which by default takes the machine back to where it was when the m6 tool change started.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    The gcode you need is G28. This takes the machine to s predefined position, which could be your tool change position. You set the position (using machine coordinates) in one of the Mach3 configuration screens, although I can't remember which one off the top of my head. As m_c says, you can then incorporate this code into your M6start macro so that as part of the tool change operation, the machine will go to the tool change position. On my machine, I also have a fixed touch plate set into the bed at this point so I can do a "second operation" tool height setting without having to jog the tool again. When you hit "run" the M6end macro is called which by default takes the machine back to where it was when the m6 tool change started.
    I thought it was as easy as adding some more vbscript into my Auto Tool Zero script already? Would this work OR does it have to be done within the M6START & END Macro?

Tim

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do? Everyone has their own way of working and I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

For example, my tool change code moves the tool to tool change position, waits until I hit Run, then goes back to where it started and carries on. While the tool is at the tool change position, I can choose to use one of the tool-height setting options I have written or not - they are not built-in to the tool-change macros themselves. That suits the way I work, but might not be right for everyone.

Neale,

When I'm running our GCODE to produce one of our units it had four cuts in total. I would like it to go to a certain position WHEN a tool change it needed then I press auto tool zero it hits my wireless probe (Which will be in a fixed location) zero's its self out and then returns to the next cutting position.

Hope this makes sense to you! :D

Tim

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Anything to do with toolchanges happens, or at least starts and ends in the M6 macros.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think once you've used M6start to move to your toolchange position, you can then use your tool zero button, then once you're finished and click cycle start again, M6end takes care of moving back to the work area.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Anything to do with toolchanges happens, or at least starts and ends in the M6 macros.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think once you've used M6start to move to your toolchange position, you can then use your tool zero button, then once you're finished and click cycle start again, M6end takes care of moving back to the work area.
    Exactly. This is what I do on my own machine. All you need to do is put a move (in machine coordinates) to the touch plate location into the tool height set macro and the job's a good'un

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Neale could you copy and paste what's inside your M06.M1S file please?

Regards,

Tim

Can do - will take a little time as I'll get the current copy off my machine. Might as well post m6start, m6end, and my tool-height setting routine while I'm at it. These all work, at least on my setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information