. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all!

I have been using quite a bit of de-ionized water lately and looking to reduce my costs.

Currently I am getting 5L for £2.29 at my EuroCarParts.
    That is around 46p per liter.

With the anodizing setup in my workshop now I am using a lot more than normal. I keep clearing out my local branch too so looking to buy a de-ionizing kit to reduce cost, time spent getting the stuff and ease of having it on tap..

From my research, to de-ionize all you really need is a resin filter.
    There are full reverse osmosis systems out there but is that all really needed if you just want de-ionized?

I have been looking around and have found a filter that is pretty much self contained. It is £30 and does around 2000L. So works out to around 1.5p per liter excluding metered water. https://www.eastmidlandswater.com/De...?ProductID=758
    Which is around £1 per 1000L so add .1p to that.

1.6p per liter is a lot better than 46p plus the fuel driving back and forth.

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks
    Jack,

Having used a small deioniser filter as part of a wire edm machine recently, which needs a continuous supply of pure water, the resin exchange mechanism certainly seems to work. I can't comment on running costs as our use is very different but it seems that you can reduce running costs by starting with something like rainwater to reduce the "load" on the resin, and a cheap TDS meter is very useful to monitor water quality coming out, so that you know when the resin is getting exhausted. Our filter uses a refillable filter cartridge which helps reduce cost but it rather depends on the quantities you are taking about.

There's gallons of distilled water comes out of my shed dehumidifier, that would be a cheap start if you know someone who runs such a device.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

My Gran used to have a water softener (In the '50s) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dealer_elmgarden_full_1464366928883-6548186127 (1).jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	23113 and it was regenerated using salt. I wonder if there is any way of reviving spent deionising cartridges in a similar manner. They are both based on ion-exchange resins.

Went for this system, Finerfilters 4 Stage Compact Reverse Osmosis Filter With DI Resin (100 GPH)

It is only £57 and should last a decent amount of time.

Don't have water into the workshop yet so just shoved it on a stick by the outside tap..

Within a few hours (4-5) I had 20L made.

Using this TDS meters, Yakamoz LCD Digital TDS-3 Meter Temp PPM Tester Pen
    Found that our tap water is between 120-160 (taken at multiple times of the day, is that a thing?)
    The filtered water, 000 :)

With the 20L I have made, waste water is nearly 200L.
    This will be used elsewhere but is a lot more than what others are saying being 1:3-1:5 ratios.
    Apparently you can/should clamp the waste to get better ratio?

Either way. Cheaper per liter still.
    SevenTrent are charging us "£2.41" per 1000L of water. I was paying £2.29 at ECP so even with the 20-30L I had to flush through the system to prep it I am less than a quarter the price already (excluding the system setup and running costs).

10/10 Would recommend.
    Last edited by JOGARA; 06-04-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 54 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Either way. Cheaper per liter still.
    SevenTrent are charging us "£2.41" per 1000L of water. I was paying £2.29 at ECP so even with the 20-30L I had to flush through the system to prep it I am less than a quarter the price already (excluding the system setup and running costs).
    In our location if you are on a meter we are charged per cubic Mtr for water from the meter and then get a bill for the same amount for putting in down the drain.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    In our location if you are on a meter we are charged per cubic Mtr for water from the meter and then get a bill for the same amount for putting in down the drain.
    Ohhh shit is that how they work it out?

Makes sense. What ****s xD

Ill take this system over to my grandmother's house. They are not on meter there so can run 24/7...
    Last edited by JOGARA; 06-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 54 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOGARA View Post
    Ohhh shit is that how they work it out?

Makes sense. What ****s xD

Ill take this system over to my grandmother's house. They are not on meter there so can run 24/7...
    Or has been mentioned get a humidifier and kill two birds with one stone.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Or has been mentioned get a humidifier and kill two birds with one stone.
    More £££ in electricity than it is worth.

The garage stays really dry even with all this rain. Helps that the air compressor sucks up said moister....

Recover the water and feed it through again with a water pump and tank.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 06-04-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information