. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hii please help me to build My CNC milling machine.
    I am not a fully machinist designer so I am getting confuse in building a CNC machine.
    I was watching a lot from past 2 years, however coming to any poster they wouldn't provide full details in their threads.

Can somebody provide a open source of DIY Moving gantry for Metal milling.

I am making on the Table for 31 inches into 71 inches with 50 MM square pole, thickness of 5 or 6mm

This looking easier to build, but doesit can handle for milling metal?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11358...-and-hardwoods

Mods, please move thread if this is not right section.
    Last edited by endlasuresh; 28-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Still no replies,
    I had designed the base will post here tomorow and looking to buy rails offline. Can somebody recommend me the best rails for me?

Hello!

What metall do you want to mill? Steel?

50mm steel square for the base is to small I think.. I have 50mm for my planned mostly wood router (with some 80x120 6mm thickness in there ). It will never mill steel
    ... Also I have 6mm thickness I think..
    Usually people recommend 80x80 with atleast 3mm thickness for router capable of routing aluminium.

For your rail question it depends on how the machine looks and how heavy it is.
    Usually 20mm square linear rail is recommended. But it you plan on a monstermachine capable of milling 100mm thick steel it may be a different world altogether :)

Post your design an listen to advice before ordering parts. It might save you some money in the end

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nr1madman For This Useful Post:

Most people would recommend a mill style machine for cutting steel as it is possible to build a much stiffer machine as the Z axis is grounded to the base. But there is a limit to the footprint fore aft that it can cut.
    Then a gantry machine makes more sense as it can cut much larger pieces but to machine steel it needs to be well built.
    The one you linked to looks like a fine general machine but it would not be recommend for steel. Everything needs to be much stiffer including using big profile linear rails not supported round rails etc

I can't remember seeing a gantry machine on this forum designed just for steel so you are not getting much direct advice.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I can't remember seeing a gantry machine on this forum designed just for steel so you are not getting much direct advice.
    Hoe about Chaz's machine with the concrete gantry
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Clive I meant moving gantry but yes I had forgotten about Chaz's machine which will cut steel.

Endlasuresh
    Have a look in the build log at Chaz's machine to see how he approached it. I'm sure this is not what you had in mind but what you can take from this is just how stiff and heavy the machine needs to be for steel
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all replies, here is my answers for your questions.
    @Nr1madman
    1. The steel would be EN 8 to EN 31 plates.
    2. Ill got with 100 mm Square poles with 5 or 6 mm thickness
    3. Ill go with 20 or 30mm square rails as per your suggestion but will post design soon.
    4. I made the design in simple base not fully, but thinking to go with Fixed Gantry.

@routercnc

I think you are saying mill style machine that I believe fixed gantry. CAn I got with Wade O Design?
    Someone suggested for moving gantry in CNC zone forums few years back, but they never replied again and never made anything.

Yeah got it what you said yes I am too loking more stiffer than the one I linked, but the design is so easy to process.

I also checked Chaz design but looks it is a fixed gantry. http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9616-...d-that-be-Zeus
    Is this is the machine that you are talking about it?

Let me know whether I should go with Wade O design as it is easier to make and i will modify according to our need.

Here is the link a long back 7 years ago this guy recommended me for Moving Gantry, but till today I did nothing.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...tml#post864638

The guy told moving gantry because for the wieghtage of milling plate. I am looking the easiest method to build it.

Hello again..
    Just to make it more clear.
    Do you want to mill or engrave steel?

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

For milling, mostly will be used for Plastic Molding Dies. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information